Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Preserving Herbs

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 25 Replies

I love cooking with herbs. There's just something so wonderful about using fragrant all natural flavor enhancers.  And, let's not forget that it's great for the waste line. You can impart quite a bit of flavor without adding a ton of fat. But when I go to Farmer's Markets I usually buy more than I can use. We've all been there. We pick up a bunch of our favorite herbs - thyme, rosemary, dill, and other - only to find that we can't use them as fast as we'd like to. For me, it's always basil. I cannot resist the stuff. But instead of it going bad, you can preserve them for future use. Here's a handy short cut on how to do it.

Whether you are drying or freezing your herbs, you'll need to start by washing and drying them thoroughly.

If you are looking to dry them, you can tie about 10 stems together, fastening with a string or rubber band. Then, hang them upside down to dry in a cool spot. They will be ready within 2 to 3 weeks. The thicker the stems on the herb, the longer it may take.

If you are looking to freeze your extra herbs, you'll need to chop your washed and dried herbs first. Use ice cube trays for perfect sized portions that can be used at any time.  Mix two-thirds herbs with one third water and fill trays accordingly. If you want to get creative with your freezing, you can also puree the herbs first and mix with olive oil before freezing. Only soft leafed herbs work with this method.

Moms, how do you make the most out of your fresh herbs when you have them on hand?

by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 6, 2013 at 6:56 AM

I have a dehydrator, so what isn't used fresh and can't be kept over the winter will be dried.

batjmom
by Sarah on May. 6, 2013 at 7:52 AM

I buys only a few fresh herbs at a time and use them within the week.  Love that spring is here and I can start my herb garden again. 

sweetheart4171
by Peggy on May. 6, 2013 at 8:33 AM

I only buy what I'll need only because I don't want to spend money on something I'm just going to throw away.  I love the freezing method and will definitely give it a try

Lauren486
by Lauren on May. 6, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Perfect timing!  I have some fresh herbs we used yesterday that I was dreading having to throw them out!  

megandwade
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 9:52 AM

What a great idea with the ice cube trays! How do you store them once you've dried them? I've never tried drying them.. I always just freeze mine in a plastic container.

dandylynes
by Sonnie on May. 6, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I usually freeze them.  I just started an herb garden (hoping I don't kill them off this year) and maybe I will try drying some this year.

ChancesMommy07
by on May. 6, 2013 at 2:19 PM

We dry them but I love the idea of freezing them! I think I'm going to give that a try!

terri76
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:16 PM

I mix my herbs with olive oil and freeze them in an ice cube tray, which i believe is mentioned above!!! It works so great!!!

terri76
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:18 PM

I freeze mine in the ice cube tray with olive oil and once they are frozen..i just pop them out and put them in a freezer type ziploc bag..labled with what the herb is :-) Some i freeze with water as well.

Quoting megandwade:

What a great idea with the ice cube trays! How do you store them once you've dried them? I've never tried drying them.. I always just freeze mine in a plastic container.

Peachy34500
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 7:41 AM
My mom always freezes hers... I just buy what I need and use them up pretty quick
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement