Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

I love cooking with herbs. There's just something so wonderful about using fragrant all natural flavor enhancers.  And, let's not forget that it's great for the waste line. You can impart quite a bit of flavor without adding a ton of fat. But when I go to Farmer's Markets I usually buy more than I can use. We've all been there. We pick up a bunch of our favorite herbs - thyme, rosemary, dill, and other - only to find that we can't use them as fast as we'd like to. For me, it's always basil. I cannot resist the stuff. But instead of it going bad, you can preserve them for future use. Here's a handy short cut on how to do it.

Whether you are drying or freezing your herbs, you'll need to start by washing and drying them thoroughly.

If you are looking to dry them, you can tie about 10 stems together, fastening with a string or rubber band. Then, hang them upside down to dry in a cool spot. They will be ready within 2 to 3 weeks. The thicker the stems on the herb, the longer it may take.

If you are looking to freeze your extra herbs, you'll need to chop your washed and dried herbs first. Use ice cube trays for perfect sized portions that can be used at any time.  Mix two-thirds herbs with one third water and fill trays accordingly. If you want to get creative with your freezing, you can also puree the herbs first and mix with olive oil before freezing. Only soft leafed herbs work with this method.

Moms, how do you make the most out of your fresh herbs when you have them on hand?

by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-25):
arpazia
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 11:05 AM
I just buy small amounts:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 11:44 AM

We have them in our garden. I base my meal planning on what is available. I make homemade sauce and jar it so we always use the basil and oregano

elasmimi
by on May. 8, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I tried freezing, but was not happy with results. I will try the pureed with olive oil tip, but right now I have a new Tupperware herb keeper that works fairly well. I just plan my week's menu around whatever herb I'm preserving. This is Mexican week, I have cilantro.

Kmakksmom
by on May. 8, 2013 at 12:15 PM
My husband handles most of the cooking, so he takes care of the herbs too.
jessicasmom1
by Laina on May. 8, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Yes upside down if the best way I found

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN