Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Bread

Posted by on May. 6, 2013 at 9:18 AM
  • 17 Replies

I made a ton of fresh bread this past week, and now a plain loaf of bread sounds horrible.  I just love the smell of fresh baked bread in the house, and it was so yummy!  Problem is I took 4 loaves to a picnic an hour from home and left it all there, so now I once again have no fresh bread. I just may have to make more! 

by on May. 6, 2013 at 9:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
megandwade
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I always keep some frozen bread dough in the freezer! That way I just have to let it thaw, rise, and pop it in the oven whenever we need a loaf!

sweetheart4171
by Peggy on May. 6, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I haven't used my bread maker in so long, maybe it's time to whip it out

dandylynes
by Sonnie on May. 6, 2013 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I just recently started using it again, mostly just the dough cycle though, just to get it started and then I create loaves when I get home from work.

Quoting sweetheart4171:

sweetheart4171
by Peggy on May. 6, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Well, now you are really making me wnat to....I know my kids would enjoy it far better than a regular loaf of bread.  The only thing is that I can't use milk/butter (anything dairy actually) do you have a traditional bread recipe you use without those ingredients

Quoting dandylynes:

I just recently started using it again, mostly just the dough cycle though, just to get it started and then I create loaves when I get home from work.

Quoting sweetheart4171:

dandylynes
by Sonnie on May. 6, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Yep, I do.  When I get home, I will send you a couple.  I know Italian bread doesn't use either, but I can't recall the exact measurements.

Quoting sweetheart4171:

Well, now you are really making me wnat to....I know my kids would enjoy it far better than a regular loaf of bread.  The only thing is that I can't use milk/butter (anything dairy actually) do you have a traditional bread recipe you use without those ingredients

Quoting dandylynes:

Quoting sweetheart4171:

sweetheart4171
by Peggy on May. 6, 2013 at 3:41 PM

YAY...thank you so much!!!

Quoting dandylynes:

Yep, I do.  When I get home, I will send you a couple.  I know Italian bread doesn't use either, but I can't recall the exact measurements.

Quoting sweetheart4171:

Quoting dandylynes:

Quoting sweetheart4171:

dandylynes
by Sonnie on May. 6, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Here is the recipe for Italian Bread :

Italian Bread Using a Bread Machine

Rated:rating
Prep Time: 20 MinutesReady In: 3 Hours 20 Minutes
Submitted By:DestinyCook Time: 35 MinutesServings: 20
"Wonderful Italian bread made in a bread machine then baked in the oven."
INGREDIENTS:
4 cups unbleached all-purpose
flour
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1 1/3 cups warm water (110
degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry
yeast

1 egg
1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoons cornmeal
DIRECTIONS:
1.Place flour, brown sugar, warm water, salt, olive oil and yeast in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select dough cycle; press Start.
2.Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Form dough into two loaves. Place the loaves seam side down on a cutting board generously sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover the loaves with a damp cloth and let rise, until doubled in volume about 40 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
3.In a small bowl, beat together egg and 1 tablespoon water. Brush the risen loaves with egg mixture. Make a single long, quick cut down the center of the loaves with a sharp knife. Gently shake the cutting board to make sure that the loaves are not sticking. If they stick, use a spatula or pastry knife to loosen. Slide the loaves onto a baking sheet with one quick but careful motion.
4.Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until loaves sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
Quoting sweetheart4171:

Quoting dandylynes:

Quoting sweetheart4171:

Quoting dandylynes:

Quoting sweetheart4171:

dandylynes
by Sonnie on May. 6, 2013 at 4:57 PM

And another recipe for white bread:

Country White Bread or Dinner Rolls (Bread Machine)

By DDW on September 14, 2003

• timer
  • Prep Time: 30 mins
  • Total Time: 45 mins
  • Servings: 15

Ingredients

• 1 cup water, plus
    • 1 tablespoon water ( 70-80 F)
    • 1 large egg
    • 4 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
    • 3 1/4 cups bread flour
    • 1/4 cup sugar
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    • 2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
    • 2 tablespoons melted butter ( for dinner rolls only) (optional)
    • 2 tablespoons shortening ( for dinner rolls only) (optional)

Directions

1. In bread machine pan, place all ingredients from flour through yeast in order as recommended by the manufacturer.
  2. Select the basic bread setting.
  3. Check dough after 5 minutes of mixing, if needed add 1-2T of water or flour.
  4. Bake as normal.
  5. For dinner rolls.
  6. Mix in bread machine but use only the dough option.
  7. Lightly grease a 9 x 13 baking pan (I always use a metal pan).
  8. When dough is finished shape into 15 uniformly sized balls. I always grease my hands with shortening to smooth the dough out and it helps keep the dough from drying out.
  9. Cover and let the rolls rise in a warm, draft free place until risen to the desired size.
  10. I let them about double in size.
  11. Bake in a 350° oven about 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
  12. After removing from the oven, brush the tops of the rolls with melted butter.
  13. Take out of pan and let completely cool before storing.
Quoting sweetheart4171:

Quoting dandylynes:

Quoting sweetheart4171:

sweetheart4171
by Peggy on May. 6, 2013 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this

thank you...sounds easy enough, and really good!  Thank you again

Quoting dandylynes:

Here is the recipe for Italian Bread :

Italian Bread Using a Bread Machine

Rated:rating
Prep Time: 20 MinutesReady In: 3 Hours 20 Minutes
Submitted By:DestinyCook Time: 35 MinutesServings: 20
"Wonderful Italian bread made in a bread machine then baked in the oven."
INGREDIENTS:
4 cups unbleached all-purpose
flour
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1 1/3 cups warm water (110
degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry
yeast

1 egg
1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoons cornmeal
DIRECTIONS:
1.Place flour, brown sugar, warm water, salt, olive oil and yeast in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select dough cycle; press Start.
2.Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Form dough into two loaves. Place the loaves seam side down on a cutting board generously sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover the loaves with a damp cloth and let rise, until doubled in volume about 40 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
3.In a small bowl, beat together egg and 1 tablespoon water. Brush the risen loaves with egg mixture. Make a single long, quick cut down the center of the loaves with a sharp knife. Gently shake the cutting board to make sure that the loaves are not sticking. If they stick, use a spatula or pastry knife to loosen. Slide the loaves onto a baking sheet with one quick but careful motion.
4.Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until loaves sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
Quoting sweetheart4171:

Quoting dandylynes:

Quoting sweetheart4171:

Quoting dandylynes:

Quoting sweetheart4171:

sweetheart4171
by Peggy on May. 6, 2013 at 5:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I'll be baking bread this weekend....yum!!!  thank you

Quoting dandylynes:

And another recipe for white bread:

Country White Bread or Dinner Rolls (Bread Machine)

By DDW on September 14, 2003

• timer
  • Prep Time: 30 mins
  • Total Time: 45 mins
  • Servings: 15

Ingredients

• 1 cup water, plus
    • 1 tablespoon water ( 70-80 F)
    • 1 large egg
    • 4 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
    • 3 1/4 cups bread flour
    • 1/4 cup sugar
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    • 2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
    • 2 tablespoons melted butter ( for dinner rolls only) (optional)
    • 2 tablespoons shortening ( for dinner rolls only) (optional)

Directions

1. In bread machine pan, place all ingredients from flour through yeast in order as recommended by the manufacturer.
  2. Select the basic bread setting.
  3. Check dough after 5 minutes of mixing, if needed add 1-2T of water or flour.
  4. Bake as normal.
  5. For dinner rolls.
  6. Mix in bread machine but use only the dough option.
  7. Lightly grease a 9 x 13 baking pan (I always use a metal pan).
  8. When dough is finished shape into 15 uniformly sized balls. I always grease my hands with shortening to smooth the dough out and it helps keep the dough from drying out.
  9. Cover and let the rolls rise in a warm, draft free place until risen to the desired size.
  10. I let them about double in size.
  11. Bake in a 350° oven about 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
  12. After removing from the oven, brush the tops of the rolls with melted butter.
  13. Take out of pan and let completely cool before storing.
Quoting sweetheart4171:

Quoting dandylynes:

Quoting sweetheart4171:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement