Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

I made a ton of fresh bread this past week, and now a plain loaf of bread sounds horrible.  I just love the smell of fresh baked bread in the house, and it was so yummy!  Problem is I took 4 loaves to a picnic an hour from home and left it all there, so now I once again have no fresh bread. I just may have to make more! 

by on May. 6, 2013 at 9:18 AM
Replies (11-17):
terri76
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2013 at 10:40 PM

mmmmmmm i love fresh bread but have never attempted to make it myself nor do i have a bread maker..i need to get one or learn how to make bread!!

Lauren486
by Lauren on May. 7, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I don't have a bread maker either.  It's actually not at all difficult by hand... just time consuming! 

It's a good one to let the kids help with too... little hands are good for kneading too!

Quoting terri76:

mmmmmmm i love fresh bread but have never attempted to make it myself nor do i have a bread maker..i need to get one or learn how to make bread!!

dandylynes
by Sonnie on May. 7, 2013 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter made Pan Rustico all by herself with no problems, this one is an easy one to start off with:

http://spanishfood.about.com/od/breads/r/panrustico.htm

Rustic Spanish Bread - Pan Rustico Espanol (c)

Rustic Spanish Bread - Pan Rustico Espanol

Lisa Sierra (c) 2009 Licensed to About.com Inc.
This bread recipe is strictly "old-time" and produces a rustic-style Spanish bread. It's the kind that you see on abuela's (grandma's) kitchen table in pueblos across Spain. One recipe yields 3 loaves, so make it on a weekend afternoon and you'll have bread for most of the week. Our version was inspired by a recipe which appeared in Francie Martinez Vicondoa's book "Spanish Doors, Dishes and Dreams."

Prep Time: 1 hour

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes

Ingredients:

• 1.25 lbs (.57 kg) unbleached white flour
  • .65 oz (18 gr) dry active yeast
  • 12 oz (355 ml) water
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • egg white from 1 egg

Preparation:

This Spanish rustic bread recipe yields 3 loaves, 12 oz each.

Note: Weather conditions such as humidity and temperature effect bread making. The quantities of flour and water required to make suitable dough may need to be adjusted.

Weigh flour, mix in salt and set aside. Pour dry yeast into a warm ceramic cup. Heat the water in a pan until it is very warm, but not hot. Pour approximately 4 oz of water into the cup with yeast and stir with a fork until the yeast is completely dissolved.

Pour yeast-water mixture and all but 1/2 cup water into a very large mixing bowl. Add flour to bowl gradually, continuously mixing with a wooden spoon until all flour is absorbed, adding the remaining water as needed. The dough should have a smooth texture and form a ball.

Using a paper towel, coat the inside of a large bowl with olive oil or vegetable shortening. Cover the bowl with a wet dish towel and place in a warm spot in the kitchen. If your kitchen is drafty and cold, allow dough to rise in the covered bowl in a warm oven (approximately 150F degrees) with the door open. Let rise for 30 minutes.

Cover cutting board with a generous amount of flour to prevent dough from sticking. Turn dough out onto a cutting board. Flour hands and knead with heals of hands. When dough has a consistent texture and forms a ball, divide into 3 pieces. Form dough into rounds or oblong shapes. Place on a cookie sheet or baking stone. Allow to rise in a warm place for 10-15 minutes. While dough is rising, preheat oven to 375F (190C) degrees.

Cut slits in top of loaves just before baking. When oven is hot, place bread on center rack and bake for 10 minutes. Remove and brush with beaten egg white. Return to oven and bake for another 15-20 minutes. Bread should turn a light golden color.

Remove from oven and allow to cool on a rack for 10-15 minutes. When cool enough to touch, slice with a bread knife and serve.

Quoting terri76:

terri76
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Thank you so much!! I am going to try this soon.

Quoting dandylynes:

My daughter made Pan Rustico all by herself with no problems, this one is an easy one to start off with:

http://spanishfood.about.com/od/breads/r/panrustico.htm

Rustic Spanish Bread - Pan Rustico Espanol (c)

Rustic Spanish Bread - Pan Rustico Espanol

Lisa Sierra (c) 2009 Licensed to About.com Inc.
This bread recipe is strictly "old-time" and produces a rustic-style Spanish bread. It's the kind that you see on abuela's (grandma's) kitchen table in pueblos across Spain. One recipe yields 3 loaves, so make it on a weekend afternoon and you'll have bread for most of the week. Our version was inspired by a recipe which appeared in Francie Martinez Vicondoa's book "Spanish Doors, Dishes and Dreams."

Prep Time: 1 hour

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes

Ingredients:

• 1.25 lbs (.57 kg) unbleached white flour
  • .65 oz (18 gr) dry active yeast
  • 12 oz (355 ml) water
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • egg white from 1 egg

Preparation:

This Spanish rustic bread recipe yields 3 loaves, 12 oz each.

Note: Weather conditions such as humidity and temperature effect bread making. The quantities of flour and water required to make suitable dough may need to be adjusted.

Weigh flour, mix in salt and set aside. Pour dry yeast into a warm ceramic cup. Heat the water in a pan until it is very warm, but not hot. Pour approximately 4 oz of water into the cup with yeast and stir with a fork until the yeast is completely dissolved.

Pour yeast-water mixture and all but 1/2 cup water into a very large mixing bowl. Add flour to bowl gradually, continuously mixing with a wooden spoon until all flour is absorbed, adding the remaining water as needed. The dough should have a smooth texture and form a ball.

Using a paper towel, coat the inside of a large bowl with olive oil or vegetable shortening. Cover the bowl with a wet dish towel and place in a warm spot in the kitchen. If your kitchen is drafty and cold, allow dough to rise in the covered bowl in a warm oven (approximately 150F degrees) with the door open. Let rise for 30 minutes.

Cover cutting board with a generous amount of flour to prevent dough from sticking. Turn dough out onto a cutting board. Flour hands and knead with heals of hands. When dough has a consistent texture and forms a ball, divide into 3 pieces. Form dough into rounds or oblong shapes. Place on a cookie sheet or baking stone. Allow to rise in a warm place for 10-15 minutes. While dough is rising, preheat oven to 375F (190C) degrees.

Cut slits in top of loaves just before baking. When oven is hot, place bread on center rack and bake for 10 minutes. Remove and brush with beaten egg white. Return to oven and bake for another 15-20 minutes. Bread should turn a light golden color.

Remove from oven and allow to cool on a rack for 10-15 minutes. When cool enough to touch, slice with a bread knife and serve.

Quoting terri76:

balagan_imma
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 8:08 PM

DH bought me a gift of 2 absolutely wonderful bread books. Dough and Crust, both by Richard Bertinet. Now I bake all of our bagels, breads, and I made baguettes yesterday! I think I'll try a true sour dough when we get back from our travels this summer.

MrsWhite101610
by Member on May. 13, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Do you have any recipes that you don't need a bread machine for?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
susieQ680
by on May. 13, 2013 at 2:31 PM

yep i love fresh bread I just wish i had a bread machine

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN