Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home
What do you cook for mothers day? Please include recipes.
by on May. 6, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Replies (11-17):
dandylynes
by Sonnie on May. 7, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I usually don't cook, but I'm thinking of spending the time with my daughter and making fresh pasta with her.  Which of course will call for homemade sauce too.

megandwade
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Hopefully DH will be taking us out for dinner!

mudwrap
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Ok you could make something that will keep well and just be reheated. Pasta dishes, pancake, fruits, desserts (cake, brownies). Or you can just celebrate Mother's Day on saturday the most important thing is that your celebrating with your children. .
kaybear123
by Kayla on May. 7, 2013 at 1:56 PM

This will be my first Mother's Day! So I'm not cooking :-) 

CafeMom Tickers
Willow.wind
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 7:29 PM

I can give you menu ideas if you tell me breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner

cjsmom1
by Member on May. 7, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Sorry I probably should have included that. Dinner and dessert

Quoting Willow.wind:

I can give you menu ideas if you tell me breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 8, 2013 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't have anything planned yet, but a crockpot meal would take the stress off.  My favorite is this

Spicy Roast Chicken

• 1 large whole chicken
  • 3 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. paprika
  • 1 tsp. cayenne pepper (you can cut this down if you don't care for the "heat")
  • 1 tsp. onion powder
  • 1 tsp. thyme
  • 1 tsp. black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder

Combine all the spices and rub under the skin of the chicken. Rub a bit on the inside too, and any leftover on the skin. If you are making a single chicken, you can roast it in your crockpot; just put it in the crockpot, cover and cook on low for 8 hours.

served with baked sweet potatoes and steamed broccoli.

Dessert would be something I liked, perhaps one of these that can easily be made ahead of time:

Frozen Cappuccino Dessert

* 1 (13 ounce) box whole graham crackers (may not use all)
* 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
* 3 1/2 cups cold milk
* 3 (3 1/2 ounce) packages instant chocolate pudding mix
* 1 - 2 tablespoon instant coffee, to taste
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 8 ounces whipped topping, thawed
* chocolate sprinkles or grated semisweet chocolate bars

Arrange graham crackers in the bottom of a 13 x 9 pan, breaking crackers to fit if necessary. Beat cream cheese in a large bowl with an electric mixer on low speed until smooth. Beat in 1 cup of the milk. Add remaining milk, pudding mixes, instant coffee and cinnamon. Beat until well blended, about 1 - 2 minutes. Stir in 1/2 whipped topping. Spread 1/2 mixture over grahams. Repeat layers of grahams & pudding. Cover with remaining whipped topping, garnish
with sprinkles and freeze 3 hrs until firm.

Coconut Mango Cheesecake - I found this one at my new favorite recipe site, www.grouprecipes.com!

• 1 1/2 c. graham cracker crumbs
  • 1 1/2 c. sweetened shredded coconut, toasted lightly
  • 1/4 c. sugar
  • 1/2 c. unsalted butter
  • 1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese
  • 3/4 c. sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 12 oz. cream of coconut
  • 1 cup whipping cream
  • 1 c. shredded coconut
  • 2 large fresh mangoes

Wrap outside of 9-inch diameter springform pan with 2 3/4 inch high sides with foil. Mix graham cracker crumbs, coconut and sugar in medium bowl. Add butter and mix to blend. Press mixture into bottom and up sides of prepared pan. Chill while preparing filling.

Preheat oven to 325F. Beat cream cheese and 3/4 cup sugar in large bowl until blended. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in egg yolk. Add cream of coconut, whipping cream and shredded coconut; beat just until blended. Pour into crust. Bake cheesecake until puffed and golden, about 1 hour 30 minutes. Transfer to rack; cool completely. Refrigerate until well chilled (Can be made 3 days ahead. Cover and keep refrigerated.)

Puree 1/4 of mango slices in blender until smooth. Transfer to small bowl. Sweeten to taste with sugar, if desired.

Using small knife, cut around cheesecake to loosen. Remove pan sides. Arrange remaining mango slices decoratively over cheesecake. Serve with mango puree.

Lemon Meringue Torte
Cake:

• 1/2 c. margarine or butter
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 4 egg yolks (save the whites)
  • 6 Tbsp. milk
  • 1 c. flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder

Filling:

• 1 c. sugar
  • 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
  • 1 c. cold water
  • 2 beaten egg yolks (save the whites)
  • 1 Tbsp. margarine
  • 3 Tbsp. lemon juice

Topping:

• 6 egg whites
  • 3/4 c. sugar

For the cake, cream together the butter or margarine and sugar. Add egg yolks and milk and beat well. Add flour and baking powder and beat well. Pour into greased 9 x 13 pan and bake at 350°F for 15 minutes.
For the filling, combine sugar, cornstarch and cold water. Stir until smooth. Bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute. Stir small amount into 2 beaten egg yolks. Return to pan, stirring constantly. Cook another 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add margarine and lemon juice. Spread over hot cake.
For the topping, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beat until stiff peaks form. Spread over hot filling to the edges of the pan, swirling and pulling up decorative points of meringue. Bake at 350°F until meringue is lightly browned. Cool away from drafts. Store in refrigerator.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN