Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Cooking scales?

Posted by on May. 8, 2013 at 10:48 AM
  • 10 Replies

Does anyone use a scale to measure ingredients? I just got a new cookbook, The Pie and Pastry Bible, by Rose Levy Beranbaum and she does all mesurements in weight as well as cups, measuring spoons, etc, but she says once you use a scale, you never use anything else, it's so much easier.

by on May. 8, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dandylynes
by Sonnie on May. 8, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I don't have a "kitchen" scale but I do have a postage scale that I use.  I go back and forth between measuring and weighing, depends on the recipe.

IloveElephants
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Yes, it is a lot easier especially if you know all the conversions for example how many tablespoons in a ounce (2) and so on. 

batjmom
by Sarah on May. 8, 2013 at 1:35 PM
I don't have one but saw one at Costco this weekend that I liked ( the red even matched my kitchen)
kaybear123
by Kayla on May. 8, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Nope. I don't even own a scale.

CafeMom Tickers
sweetheart4171
by Peggy on May. 8, 2013 at 2:18 PM

no...traditional cups/measuring spoons for me

othermom
by Danelle on May. 8, 2013 at 2:24 PM

No I don't

terri76
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Nope. I have a kitchen scale..but i use it gor my weight watchers. Measuring spoons and cups here.
Bradensmommy719
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 6:57 PM
Yes I have a small kitchen scale and I sometimes use it. Depends on what I'm making
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
balagan_imma
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 7:44 PM

I have started weighing things when I bake bread. The recipes have turned out spot on, so why not.

MonarchMom22
by Member on May. 8, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Use mine all the time.  It makes baking practically foolproof, since flour is inconsistent to measure by the cup.  And I like it for pasta as well, we make exactly the right amount each time.  Mine is by Salter and has worked great for about 10 years.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement