Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Smart Snacks for Kids

Posted by on May. 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 27 Replies

For some of us, the last day of school is looming this very month. For me, one of the least fun parts of having the kids home all day is the constant barrage of requests for a snack. My kids are pretty active and both growing like weeds right now, so they are just constantly hungry.

I started putting a container filled with snacks in the fridge for my daughter, all prepped and ready to go; now that my boy is older, I will do the same for him this summer. It keeps them from interrupting me every three seconds, and also curbs overeating because they understand when the snacks are gone, there are no more for that day. Plus, they like having their own snack pack they can eat as they choose instead of having to wait for me to finish a business call or wrap up a blog post in order to feed them.

Some of our staples are light string cheese, yogurt, pretzels, "trail mix" with nuts and dried fruit, unsweetened cereal, whole-grain crackers, cut-up fruit, and hard-boiled eggs. Veggies and dip are favorites for all of us, and my daughter likes hummus and ants on a log, too.

If I am feeling ambitious, we'll freeze fruit and juice in popsicle molds, make smoothies (this is a good way to sneak some greens into my boy) or I'll make fruit kebabs. Frozen bananas dipped in some dark chocolate are indulgent, but delicious and much better than the ice cream treats they replace.

How do you handle summer snack times?

by on May. 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lauren486
by Lauren on May. 15, 2013 at 5:37 AM

Brilliant ideas!  I love the idea of the kids having their own snacks to choose from any time. When you do this, how many do you pack for one day? 

Our snacks are pretty much the same as yours.  My 3 yo is absolutely obsessed with cheese, so string cheese is a staple for us.  She begs for it all day long, so one of my goals is finding an alternative that makes her as happy as cheese. As good of a snack as it is, I don't want it to be an every day thing.  She also likes pretzels and sometimes yogurt, and most fruits.  My 6 yo is my veggie eater, she could snack on carrots all day long. She also loves yogurt, pretzels, most fruits, and cheese. 

Peachy34500
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2013 at 7:25 AM
1 mom liked this
Love the idea of their own snack pack! My DD is constantly saying the words "I'm hungry "and it drives me crazy! Lol.. how many snacks do you do for 1 day? She usually snacks on
String cheese
Yogurt
crackrs
Pretzels
Goldfish
Fruit & veggies
Popsicles
And occasionally I will buy cookies or make them and brownies
batjmom
by Sarah on May. 15, 2013 at 7:29 AM

We have snacks easy for them to get.  I always have fresh fruits and vegetables ready.  We have hummus and peanut butter in small containers for dips and I make trial mix once or twice a week..  That way I control the quality of ingredients.  

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 15, 2013 at 9:56 AM

frozen smoothies

homemade grain-free trail mix (nuts, dried fruit, coconut)

cheese

granita

fruit slushies

dandylynes
by Sonnie on May. 15, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Good ideas, but since my daughter is a teen she pretty much can do as she pleases when it comes to snacks.  I try to limit her options though.

TerriC
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2013 at 3:06 PM
1 mom liked this
I really like those ideas! One of our favorite summer time snacks is frozen grapes. Tastes like little bites of sherbet. ( I think so anyway) :-)
othermom
by Danelle on May. 15, 2013 at 3:14 PM

We have many different things for snacks including fresh fruits and veggies, granola bars, string cheese, crackers, some cookies, ect

terri76
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2013 at 6:55 PM

This is the same for me. My son is 17 and pretty much does for himself. he knows what he can and can not have. But he is a healthy eater thank goodness. He loves alot of yogurt and fruits. he loves trail mix and string cheese as well.

Quoting dandylynes:

Good ideas, but since my daughter is a teen she pretty much can do as she pleases when it comes to snacks.  I try to limit her options though.

ChancesMommy07
by on May. 16, 2013 at 6:55 AM

Since I garden we always have lots of raw vegetables which my son loves. If he's got veggies and a bottle of ranch he never asks for anything else. I keep string cheese in the fridge at all times for him and his dad. We also keep a lot of fruit like watermelon, strawberries, and blackberries around. 

sweetheart4171
by Peggy on May. 16, 2013 at 7:54 AM

agree, my kids are pre teen or teens and they snack as they please but I'm the one buying the food so I don't buy too many sweets.  It's normally pretzels, yogurt, granola bars, fruit, ect

Quoting dandylynes:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN