The Family Piggy Bank

Planning for your family's future

Group Home

For some of us, the last day of school is looming this very month. For me, one of the least fun parts of having the kids home all day is the constant barrage of requests for a snack. My kids are pretty active and both growing like weeds right now, so they are just constantly hungry.

I started putting a container filled with snacks in the fridge for my daughter, all prepped and ready to go; now that my boy is older, I will do the same for him this summer. It keeps them from interrupting me every three seconds, and also curbs overeating because they understand when the snacks are gone, there are no more for that day. Plus, they like having their own snack pack they can eat as they choose instead of having to wait for me to finish a business call or wrap up a blog post in order to feed them.

Some of our staples are light string cheese, yogurt, pretzels, "trail mix" with nuts and dried fruit, unsweetened cereal, whole-grain crackers, cut-up fruit, and hard-boiled eggs. Veggies and dip are favorites for all of us, and my daughter likes hummus and ants on a log, too.

If I am feeling ambitious, we'll freeze fruit and juice in popsicle molds, make smoothies (this is a good way to sneak some greens into my boy) or I'll make fruit kebabs. Frozen bananas dipped in some dark chocolate are indulgent, but delicious and much better than the ice cream treats they replace.

How do you handle summer snack times?

by on May. 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-27):
Lauren486
by Lauren on May. 17, 2013 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Great idea!

Quoting TerriC:

I really like those ideas! One of our favorite summer time snacks is frozen grapes. Tastes like little bites of sherbet. ( I think so anyway) :-)

rhiannonaisling
by Member on May. 19, 2013 at 1:29 AM

celery with peanut butter, carrots with ranch, pita chips with hummus, half a medium bagel with cream cheese, a sunflower or almond butter and jelly rollup (we call them jelly sushi, too), cheese, pretzels are popular with almost any dipping sauce (especially caramel or dark chocolate), crackers with nut butter, crackers with cheese and lunch meat (homemade lunchables), trail mix, smoothies, homemade ice cream (a rare but delicious treat), hard boiled eggs. I am also planning to make bento box lunches this summer. Frozen grapes, watermelon, yogurt, nuts and trail mixes (homemade), granola (homemade). But due to dr's orders all of my kids are on a high protein, high carb, high calorie diet because they have an extremely high metabolism and can lose weight just sitting on their butts eating a "normal" diet...they eat 4000 plus calories a day to maintain weight and more to gain...so we tend to have a lot of high protein or high carb snacks but still try to keep their snacks healthy as well.

AmyKuras
by CafeMom Blogger on May. 19, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I usually try to have one morning and one afternoon snack, plus a "bonus" if they're extra hungry.

blue_lagoon
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Fruits, fruits and more fruits. I tend not to buy processed snacks so it's just not around.

blue_lagoon
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 10:11 AM

We go through spurts where they just can't get enough to eat!

Quoting AmyKuras:

I usually try to have one morning and one afternoon snack, plus a "bonus" if they're extra hungry.

Mamie_85
by New Member on May. 21, 2013 at 4:56 PM

string cheese, goldfish crackers, fresh fruit and veggies (with ranch, of course lol) i'm planning on doing something similiar soon. i just have to find the time :)

mommyonboard08
by on May. 22, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Roasted Veggie crackers with cream cheese are popular here. My son wont eat string cheese or anything other cold cheese.... Goldfish crackers, blueberrys, celery with peanut butter, frozen applesauce bites, yogurt,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)