Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Choosing the Right Cutting Board – Veggies

Posted by on May. 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 26 Replies

Last night I made a chicken stir fry. On one cutting board I chopped all the veggies - carrots, celery, peppers, and more. On the next, I cut the garlic and onions. Finally, on the last cutting board I cut up the chicken. Sounds like a lot of boards, but they all serve their specific purpose.

So, how many cutting boards do you have in your kitchen? I know that I have at least four and I use them each for a specific task. I never cut meat on the same cutting boards that I cut veggies. Why? It a great way to make sure your kitchen stays sanitary and your family is protected from cross contamination.

Plastic seems to be the board of choice nowadays, but you should consider using wood for cutting vegetables and fruit. Wood also keeps your knives from dulling. Just be sure to give the board a thorough washing after you are done. And drying is also very, very important as well. If you do not dry your wood boards well, you can get mold growth - and no one wants that! Note that wood boards are very porous, so anything you cut on it will seep into the wood. This is why cutting meat on wood boards is not recommended. Wood cutting board oil is available and should be applied at least once a month to help keep moister out and help your board last longer.

Also, I like to use a separate board for cutting onions, garlic and shallots - and while they are veggies I usually go the plastic route because they are less porous. Sometimes, no matter how much you wash, you still can't get that smell out!  

Marking each board with a colored permanent marker is very helpful in keeping track of which board is for what task.

Moms, do you use different cutting boards for different cutting jobs?

by on May. 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lauren486
by Lauren on May. 13, 2013 at 6:22 AM

I only have one plastlic board and one wooden board. The plastic board stays out on the counter so it seems to be the one I use most often for everything. Though I clean it constantly, I do worry about the germs from using it for both meat and fruits/veggies. 

Peachy34500
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2013 at 6:26 AM
I have separate ones for meat & veggies! I love my chop n scoop!
PinkButterfly66
by on May. 13, 2013 at 6:32 AM

I have several wooden cutting boars of different sizes and a plastic one.  I DO NOT use a different one for meat and another for veggies.  That's just stupid.  I do wash the board off with hot soapy water after cutting meat then cut veggies. I use my plastic one for cutting garlic and onions.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 13, 2013 at 6:49 AM

I have 5 plastic cutting boards and 3 wooden ones.  I use the plastic ones the most, and I don't bother designating a specific use to a specific board.  The boards are cleaned between uses, sometimes soaked in bleach, and I WILL use the same board to cut first veggies, then meat.  Never had a problem with cross contamination or a smelly board in the 40+ years I've been cooking.

sweetheart4171
by Peggy on May. 13, 2013 at 7:56 AM

no I have the same glass cutting board for everything, I just wash it really good in between

batjmom
by Sarah on May. 13, 2013 at 7:56 AM

I use 3 different cutting boards.  i dont like to use the same board for cutting vegetable that I use for cutting meat.   Then cutting herbs I use another one. 

mrsjksimmons
by on May. 13, 2013 at 8:00 AM

I have one bamboo board that I use for everything. I don't really cut up meats all that often so I see it as pointless to have one for each specific thing. Now I do want to get a smaller bamboo board for when I only have a small amount of things to cut.

goddess99
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 8:44 AM

No, all my cutting boards are glass.

RobynS
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2013 at 8:46 AM

We have some thin, color-coded plastic cutting boards and we always follow the guide as suggested on the package (green=veggies/bread, yellow=poultry, pink=meat, blue=fish).

But we also have several other cutting boards. We're careful not to cross-contaminate while we're prepping a meal, but once they've been run through the dishwasher, they're all fair game again.

jessicasmom1
by Laina on May. 13, 2013 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes! I have colored ones for each food group

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN