The Family Piggy Bank

Planning for your family's future

Group Home

Toddler Approved Quesadillas

Posted by on May. 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 26 Replies
2 moms liked this

My daughter Ernestine is a carboholic. She will eat almost anything as long as it is encased in bread, and she especially loves flour tortillas. I realized when she was about ten months old that I could use the tortilla as a vehicle to get protein and vegetables into her, by filling it with all kinds of goodies, folding it in half and grilling it gently on both sides. While not traditional quesadillas in most respects, these are still delicious. Try these combinations out on your kids, or for yourself:

• Pureed sweet potato and ricotta (surprisingly yummy, especially for a first finger food, cut up super small)
  • Ham, cheddar and super thin apple slices
  • Brocolli and cheddar 
  • Crumbled bacon, scrambled eggs and cheese
  • Hummus and shredded baby spinach 
  • Peanut butter and banana, or peanut butter and apple 
  • Cream Cheese and Craisins
  • Roasted red pepper, shredded baby spinach and mozzarella
  • Turkey and cheddar with slivers of grape
  • Black beans, cheddar and avocado

Some of these combinations have super strong flavors such as garlic, or roasted pepper, and your kid may not be into them, but they might surprise you, too. It turns out Ernestine is a garlic hummus FIEND, preferring it over even the most surefire kid foods such as mac & cheese and hotdogs.

Do you have any great quesadilla or sandwich filling combinations?

(C)istockphoto.com/nicolebranan

by on May. 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
terri76
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2013 at 12:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Yummmmm. My son was a tortilla fiend at that same age. His favorite was turkey,hummus and thinly sliced apples..i used to cut it into tiny pieces and he would tear it up!! He still loves it vut is now 17 and a bit more adventurous!!
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on May. 16, 2013 at 9:30 AM

My granddaughter would LOVE these!  She'd probably pick off the tortilla, though.

ChancesMommy07
by on May. 16, 2013 at 9:34 AM

I want to try the ham, cheddar, and apple slices..

Peachy34500
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2013 at 9:46 AM
I will have to try this! My son is almost 11 mths and is loving trying all our food.. my 6 yr old however is very picky!!
dandylynes
by Sonnie on May. 16, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Some great ideas, althught I don't have a toddler, I have a teen and she loves quesadillas.

Her favorite is Chihuahua cheese with sliced up, leftover chicken tenders

batjmom
by Sarah on May. 16, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Great suggestions. I'll be using some of those. I use hummus in a whole grain tortilla with cucumbers and tomatoes
megandwade
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2013 at 12:18 AM

My son is super picky but he loves Quesadillas!

MichelleK41
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 7:26 AM

Our kiddos love these and as long as there is a type of cheese on there they will allow a veggie.

4kidz916
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 9:14 AM

The cream cheese and craisins is a great idea.  I'll have to try that soon.  We like cheese quesadillas, chicken quesadillas, and a few weeks ago we tried asparagus quesadillas. 

ceciliam
by on May. 17, 2013 at 10:43 AM

My son LOVES quesadillas! I actually purchased a cookbook dedicated to, quesadillas.

One of his favorites is a basic egg and cheese quesadilla.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)