My daughter Ernestine is a carboholic. She will eat almost anything as long as it is encased in bread, and she especially loves flour tortillas. I realized when she was about ten months old that I could use the tortilla as a vehicle to get protein and vegetables into her, by filling it with all kinds of goodies, folding it in half and grilling it gently on both sides. While not traditional quesadillas in most respects, these are still delicious. Try these combinations out on your kids, or for yourself:
- Pureed sweet potato and ricotta (surprisingly yummy, especially for a first finger food, cut up super small)
- Ham, cheddar and super thin apple slices
- Brocolli and cheddar
- Crumbled bacon, scrambled eggs and cheese
- Hummus and shredded baby spinach
- Peanut butter and banana, or peanut butter and apple
- Cream Cheese and Craisins
- Roasted red pepper, shredded baby spinach and mozzarella
- Turkey and cheddar with slivers of grape
- Black beans, cheddar and avocado
Some of these combinations have super strong flavors such as garlic, or roasted pepper, and your kid may not be into them, but they might surprise you, too. It turns out Ernestine is a garlic hummus FIEND, preferring it over even the most surefire kid foods such as mac & cheese and hotdogs.
Do you have any great quesadilla or sandwich filling combinations?