Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Toddler Approved Quesadillas

Posted by   + Show Post

My daughter Ernestine is a carboholic. She will eat almost anything as long as it is encased in bread, and she especially loves flour tortillas. I realized when she was about ten months old that I could use the tortilla as a vehicle to get protein and vegetables into her, by filling it with all kinds of goodies, folding it in half and grilling it gently on both sides. While not traditional quesadillas in most respects, these are still delicious. Try these combinations out on your kids, or for yourself:

• Pureed sweet potato and ricotta (surprisingly yummy, especially for a first finger food, cut up super small)
  • Ham, cheddar and super thin apple slices
  • Brocolli and cheddar 
  • Crumbled bacon, scrambled eggs and cheese
  • Hummus and shredded baby spinach 
  • Peanut butter and banana, or peanut butter and apple 
  • Cream Cheese and Craisins
  • Roasted red pepper, shredded baby spinach and mozzarella
  • Turkey and cheddar with slivers of grape
  • Black beans, cheddar and avocado

Some of these combinations have super strong flavors such as garlic, or roasted pepper, and your kid may not be into them, but they might surprise you, too. It turns out Ernestine is a garlic hummus FIEND, preferring it over even the most surefire kid foods such as mac & cheese and hotdogs.

Do you have any great quesadilla or sandwich filling combinations?

(C)istockphoto.com/nicolebranan

by on May. 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-26):
kaybear123
by Kayla on May. 17, 2013 at 4:27 PM

You have a July 2012 baby don't you? Lol mine loves trying all food to. Especially if it is cheesy for some reason.

Quoting Peachy34500:

I will have to try this! My son is almost 11 mths and is loving trying all our food.. my 6 yr old however is very picky!!

CafeMom Tickers
kaybear123
by Kayla on May. 17, 2013 at 4:28 PM

I don't really have anything I would like to try lol. Not the biggest quesadilla fan.

CafeMom Tickers
terri76
by Gold Member on May. 18, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Me either until my mom gave him some and he liked it..so we tried it and it was a hit!!

Quoting TerriC:

I never thought of using hummus in a quesadilla or roll up, my oldest DD would love this one!!

Quoting terri76:

Yummmmm. My son was a tortilla fiend at that same age. His favorite was turkey,hummus and thinly sliced apples..i used to cut it into tiny pieces and he would tear it up!! He still loves it vut is now 17 and a bit more adventurous!!

TerriC
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Going to try it!!!!  =-)

Quoting terri76:

Me either until my mom gave him some and he liked it..so we tried it and it was a hit!!

Quoting TerriC:

I never thought of using hummus in a quesadilla or roll up, my oldest DD would love this one!!

Quoting terri76:

Yummmmm. My son was a tortilla fiend at that same age. His favorite was turkey,hummus and thinly sliced apples..i used to cut it into tiny pieces and he would tear it up!! He still loves it vut is now 17 and a bit more adventurous!!

outer.banks
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 8:06 AM
1 mom liked this

I make applesauce quesadillas. The kids love them.

KarenandErnie
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Do you just put applesauce in the tortilla or is there anything else in there? 

Quoting outer.banks:

I make applesauce quesadillas. The kids love them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement