Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Picking the Right Cutting Board - Carving and Meats

Posted by on May. 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 30 Replies

There's nothing like carving up a big roast, or prepping chicken for a perfect meal. But, what kind of  cutting board should you use for the job - plastic or wood?

It's a good idea to stay away from wood, because wood is porous making it easier for germs and bacteria to become trapped. This can cause food borne illnesses or worse. Even though our brains are trained to think butcher boards (which are usually wood) when carving meat, try plastic instead.

Thick plastic cutting boards are best so that they can withstand the weight and heat of the meat. Or if you are cutting the meat while raw, you can use a thinner, more light weight board. There are a variety of different types available at your local kitchenware store and any trained employee can help you pick the right cutting board to suit your needs. I love buy a few in different colors, so I can keep track of what I want to use them for. In fact, I have one plastic board for chicken, and another for meat and fish.

Moms, what do you use in your kitchens?

by on May. 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Peachy34500
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2013 at 9:47 AM
Honestly I have never carved meet! That's always been the mans job, lol so I have np idea!
dandylynes
by Sonnie on May. 16, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I have sseveral cutting boards.  For day to day, I use the real thin plastic ones.  They usually come in packs of 4.  I cut up one of the 4 into quarters which come in handy for small/quick chopping jobs, like a kiwi or a few strawberries.

http://www.amazon.com/MIU-Flexible-Cutting-Board-Set/dp/B00011RTE8

I use my heavy duty plastic cutting board for meats.  I usually place it in my raised edge cookie pan to keep the juices from getting all over the counter.

terri76
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2013 at 7:39 PM

I have glass cutting boards..love them!!

MichelleK41
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 7:24 AM

We have a cutting board, a small one.

4kidz916
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 9:09 AM

All of my cutting boards are plastic. 

slw123
by Member on May. 17, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I only use plastic.

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 10:42 AM

thanks

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Good idea!

Quoting dandylynes:

I have sseveral cutting boards.  For day to day, I use the real thin plastic ones.  They usually come in packs of 4.  I cut up one of the 4 into quarters which come in handy for small/quick chopping jobs, like a kiwi or a few strawberries.

http://www.amazon.com/MIU-Flexible-Cutting-Board-Set/dp/B00011RTE8

I use my heavy duty plastic cutting board for meats.  I usually place it in my raised edge cookie pan to keep the juices from getting all over the counter.

sukainah
by on May. 17, 2013 at 10:48 AM

I have one thick plastic board and a thin plastic board.

kellynh
by on May. 17, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Plastic or marble 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN