Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Picking the Right Cutting Board - Carving and Meats

Posted by   + Show Post

There's nothing like carving up a big roast, or prepping chicken for a perfect meal. But, what kind of  cutting board should you use for the job - plastic or wood?

It's a good idea to stay away from wood, because wood is porous making it easier for germs and bacteria to become trapped. This can cause food borne illnesses or worse. Even though our brains are trained to think butcher boards (which are usually wood) when carving meat, try plastic instead.

Thick plastic cutting boards are best so that they can withstand the weight and heat of the meat. Or if you are cutting the meat while raw, you can use a thinner, more light weight board. There are a variety of different types available at your local kitchenware store and any trained employee can help you pick the right cutting board to suit your needs. I love buy a few in different colors, so I can keep track of what I want to use them for. In fact, I have one plastic board for chicken, and another for meat and fish.

Moms, what do you use in your kitchens?

by on May. 15, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on May. 20, 2013 at 10:18 AM

The one I have is glass.

TerriC
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Where did you find glass ones?  I don't think I have ever seen one.

Quoting terri76:

I have glass cutting boards..love them!!

TerriC
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 10:50 AM

That is a great idea!

Quoting blue_lagoon:

I have color coded cutting boards.  White for fish, green for veggies, yellow for chicken and red for meat.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 10:51 AM

I use plastic, but I thought I'd read lately that wood is better because it has natural germicidal qualities?

timon95
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 11:00 AM

i have the small flexible cutting boards from pampered chef. i have platter for carving meat

terri76
by Gold Member on May. 20, 2013 at 11:03 AM
I am not sure. I got them from my aunt as a house warming gift..i will have to ask her!!

Quoting TerriC:

Where did you find glass ones?  I don't think I have ever seen one.

Quoting terri76:

I have glass cutting boards..love them!!

dusky_rose
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I could use some cutting mats.

Quoting dandylynes:

I have sseveral cutting boards.  For day to day, I use the real thin plastic ones.  They usually come in packs of 4.  I cut up one of the 4 into quarters which come in handy for small/quick chopping jobs, like a kiwi or a few strawberries.

http://www.amazon.com/MIU-Flexible-Cutting-Board-Set/dp/B00011RTE8

I use my heavy duty plastic cutting board for meats.  I usually place it in my raised edge cookie pan to keep the juices from getting all over the counter.

LancesMom
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 11:52 AM

We only have plastic cutting boards and I have three! One for meat one for vegies and one for fruit.

LuLuRex
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 4:47 PM

I use the plastic cutting boards I got from my bridal shower.

ReniaEats
by Member on May. 21, 2013 at 7:53 AM

I just can't use a plastic cutting board. They drive me nuts. I have a marble-like board for meats and a bamboo board for everything else.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN