Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Kids eat

Posted by on May. 19, 2013 at 9:53 AM
  • 26 Replies

Poll

Question: How many parents

Options:

make something seperate for their kids

keep the same food for the family

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 25

View Results

by on May. 19, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ChancesMommy07
by on May. 19, 2013 at 11:23 AM
I only cook one meal but I never cook a complete meal that I know someone in my family is going to hate. I have the one bite rule, if its something new you have to try at least one bite.
CatFishMom
by on May. 19, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Nope. Not unless I know or can predict my kids will not like what Im making. For example-my husband makes this sausage/collard greens thing and we put it over pasta-the kids won't eat anything thats all mixed together like that so I separate out the elements on their plates. Problem solved. Usually Im just modifying the meal we are having rather than preparing them something separate. They eat what we eat or they go hungry.

sweetheart4171
by Peggy on May. 19, 2013 at 4:00 PM

My kids are older now and I only make one meal.  But when my son was a toddler and with his allergies of course I made other things for him just so he would eat something. Now I wouldn't dream of it

Lauren486
by Lauren on May. 19, 2013 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this

This is a tough vote for me.  I always *try to make the same meals for the kids but I am guilty of giving them something else occasionally as well.  Most of the time I give them something else it is just an alternative to what DH and I have.  Like tonight we all had the same pork but I made spicy asian noodles on the side that my kids would never touch. So before I added my sauce, I set some plain noodles aside for the kids.  The only other reason I ever make a separate meal for the kids is if dinner is running late.  On those nights, I will throw something quick together for the kids, then DH and I will sit down after they are in bed.  

mommi128
by Member on May. 19, 2013 at 4:52 PM

I have the "get what you get and you don't throw a fit" rule. Don't like it don't eat. The only time I don't follow this rule if its something spicy. I will make the same thing without spice in it. My son has not complained about food after the first time he went to bed hungry. He eats everything with a smile. I am pregnant with my daughter and I hope she likes everything too.

balagan_imma
by Member on May. 19, 2013 at 7:23 PM

My kids are pretty adventurous eaters. If I am making something that one doesn't like s/he is old enough to make something else. Sometimes they do, but they still have to have a small portion of the offending food on their plate.

MrsWhite101610
by Member on May. 19, 2013 at 7:24 PM
I used to give our 3 yo a choice, but she's so picky that now we've started the eat or wait till next meal/go to bed hungry thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mylilprincesses
by Member on May. 19, 2013 at 8:06 PM
Most of the time we make two separate meals.
LOVE_mygirls58
by Kayla on May. 19, 2013 at 8:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I only cook one meal

They eat what we eat or they go to bed hungry 

Danyell9301
by Member on May. 20, 2013 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this

We try to eat the same and healthy, but there are things one child will just not eat. So one those night I have to cook two meals. But I alway offer it to her anyway.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement