Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pizza Stones and More

Posted by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 31 Replies

Ordering take out can get expensive - very expensive. My husband and I are on a huge budget right now because later this summer we will be blessed with another baby boy! So, every extra dollar is going towards his impending arrival.

And one thing our family can't get enough of is pizza. So, to cut costs, we've been making our own. It's not as hard as it seems and it's actually better for you. All you need is some store bought crust, cheese, sauce and a variety of toppings. Of course you'll need a few tools as well.

I recommend a pizza stone. It's great for making your pizza crust crispy and ensures and even bake. And just like a good frying pan or baking dish, the more you use it the better it gets! You'll get some additional use out of it too. You can bake cookies, breads and all sorts of other things on your stone as well.

Also invest in a great pizza cutter. It makes all the difference in make the perfect slice and cutting them smaller for small hands and faces. The kids have to eat too!

Moms, what are your favorite pizza toppings and would you try your luck at making your own pie at home?

by on May. 29, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
batjmom
by Sarah on May. 30, 2013 at 7:53 AM
I have a pizza stone and we do make our own pizza. It's fun as a family to make and create your own
ChancesMommy07
by on May. 30, 2013 at 9:34 AM

I bought two different size pizza stones from Pampered Chef and we make our own pizza at home all the time. I like a lot of veggies on mine and DH and DS like a lot of meat and cheese on theirs. Those pizza stones work great for baking cookies or fries too!

dandylynes
by Sonnie on May. 30, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I have a stone, but don't use it.  I can't figure out why I don't like it, but I don't.

My daughter is not a fan of pizza so we rarelly make it, but when I do, the more crap I can put on it, the better.

DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on May. 30, 2013 at 4:08 PM

I've been making homemade pizza for years. The problem that I have with toppings is too much moisture and too much grease. Too much pizza sauce can really be a problem too. Sometimes I put the toppings on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake till they're crisp tender. Red onions tend to be the best onion and yellow the worst.

I have a sil who uses cooked/drained Steak-ums to make a Philly steak & cheese pizza. She also puts on a lot of pepperoncini.

Peachy34500
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2013 at 6:47 AM
I used to have a stone, I need to get another one!
michiganmom116
by on May. 31, 2013 at 7:13 AM

I usually make our own pizza.  We like pepperoni, sausage, ham, mushrooms, green peppers, black olives...sometimes we'll even make a Hawaiian pizza (ham, mushrooms, onions, pineapple, cheese) or BLT pizza (bacon, cheese, lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise added after it's baked.)

emilyrosenj
by Margaret on May. 31, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I like turkey sausage, sauce and basil and we make a cauliflower crust.  I do want to try grilling a pizza this year.

jessicasmom1
by Laina on May. 31, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I have a pizza stone and we make ours 

emilyrosenj
by Margaret on May. 31, 2013 at 10:55 AM

of course I like cheese on mine too!

25beengoodtome
by Bronze Member on May. 31, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Nothing beats those stones .................. and a home baked pizza!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)