Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HOW DO YOU KEEP THE RAVIOLI FROM FALLING APART?

Posted by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:01 PM
  • 8 Replies

I've tried making stuffed ravioli's a few times. My problem comes up when cooking. The ravioli fall apart while boiling, The meat is left floating around in my pot of water, the pasta squares are empty, but cut and empty [like 2 unmatched socks!] What am I doing wrong? The very same promblem happen when I try cooking those potato/ cheese stuffed peirogi my hubby also craves.

~

by on May. 31, 2013 at 1:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ChancesMommy07
by on May. 31, 2013 at 3:19 PM

I have one of those little pasta rollers. You roll it around the edge of the pasta pocket and it seals it shut.

DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on May. 31, 2013 at 3:53 PM

I don't make ravioli or pirogi. My guess is too much filling which usually causes too much steam inside. I do know that this sort of thing should be cooked in a very quick amount of time.

dandylynes
by Sonnie on May. 31, 2013 at 3:55 PM

HOw are you sealing it?  I don't have any advice, but I'm interested, because my 15 y/o wants to try to make ravioli some time.

kaybear123
by Kayla on May. 31, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I have never made either so i cant help :( sorry!

CafeMom Tickers
25beengoodtome
by Bronze Member on May. 31, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I seal my ravioli and pierogi by "painting around the filling with an egg/ water wash, then top with the top layer of pasta. set aside to rest for 10 - 15 minutes. then I'll use my pizza cutter to get my ravioli/ pierogis cut and save to cook.

~

MonarchMom22
by Member on May. 31, 2013 at 6:27 PM

I think you need to go around the edges with a roller of press the edges with fork tines.  Other wise they will burst.  Also, cook then in a huge pot of boiling water and add them slowly so they don't stick together.

Lauren486
by Lauren on May. 31, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Though I'm inexperienced on the subject, this is what I was thinking. 

Quoting MonarchMom22:

I think you need to go around the edges with a roller of press the edges with fork tines.  Other wise they will burst.  Also, cook then in a huge pot of boiling water and add them slowly so they don't stick together.

taniamorse85
by Bronze Member on Jun. 1, 2013 at 1:48 AM
I made ravioli for the first time a couple weeks ago, and I was amazed that I didn't have that problem. I don't have a pasta roller or any other gadget to help make them. Instead, I just made sure to pinch the edges really well, until I could not discern the top layer from the bottom along the edges. I didn't use an egg wash or anything else to seal the edges.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)