Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Chicken Pad Thai From Scratch

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 33 Replies
1 mom liked this

For some reason making Thai food at home always seemed too complicated, and ordering take-out was just so much easier, that I never tried to make it. That was before I found this recipe in one of those magazines my grocery store hands out if you spend more than $25. Sure, this recipe has quite a few ingredients, but they come together fairly quickly and the end result is delicious. 

Ingredients:

8 ounces stir fry noodles

1/3 C fish sauce

1/3 C lime juice

3 tbsp brown sugar

2/3 C water

2 tbsp canola oil

2 tsp garlic, minced

1/4 tsp ground chili paste (found in the Asian foods aisle)

1 lb chicken breast sliced thin

2 eggs

1/3 C chopped unsalted peanuts

1 C mung bean sprouts

4 scallions, sliced

2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped

1 lime, sliced into 8 wedges

Soak the noodles in hot tap water for 10 minutes, drain and set aside. In the meantime whisk together the fish sauce, lime juice, brown sugar and water. Set this aside, too. Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok if you have one over high heat. Add the garlic, chili paste and chicken, stirring periodically until the chicken is cooked through.

Add the drained noodles and the sauce to the chicken. Allow to simmer for 3 minutes. Push all of the noodle and chicken mixture to one side, leaving a section of pan exposed in which you can crack your eggs. Allow some of the egg to scramble on the hot pan, and some of the egg to combine with the sauce, thickening it. At this point you can test your noodles, if they are not done add a little more water and allow to cook until tender. 

Remove the noodles from the heat and stir in the peanuts and sprouts. Divide into bowls and garnish with the scallions, cilantro and lime wedges.  

Do you ever make Thai food at home?

(C)istockphoto.com/DreamBigPhotos

by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jun. 11, 2013 at 6:13 AM

interesting!

I don't make Thai food at home.  I doubt anyone would eat it.

sweetheart4171
by Peggy on Jun. 11, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I have never made Thai food, don't think I've eaten it either.  I'm not sure if my family would like this sounds interesting

CorpCityGrl
by on Jun. 11, 2013 at 9:44 AM

I love Thai food...especially Pad Thai.  I made it at home once and it just wasn't the same. :(

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Jun. 11, 2013 at 2:04 PM

No I have not made it at home. 

Lauren486
by Lauren on Jun. 11, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Hmmm... that would be  new one for me.  Funny, I'd happily order/try something like this from a takeaway but am not likely to try it on my own. 

terri76
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2013 at 9:29 PM

We are not big fans of Thai food here at my house and i have never made it before.

batjmom
by Sarah on Jun. 12, 2013 at 12:33 PM
My husband just asked my to make Thai food. I may try this one out. I'm sure I'll get a funny look for the kids but I would try
honihoni
by on Jun. 12, 2013 at 7:49 PM

ooh this looks wonderful.. can't wait to try!

kaybear123
by Kayla on Jun. 12, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Nope.

GwenMB
by Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:56 AM

I haven't - and this recipe has so many ingredients that I don't have & would have to really search for, that I'm not likely to make this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN