Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Healthy Snacks That Won't Heat Things Up

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 40 Replies
2 moms liked this

Summer's having a little trouble getting started in my neck of the woods, but a lot of people are already broiling in 90-degree temps. Even with really great air conditioning, that kind of weather makes turning on the oven to make treats something that just is not happening. If your kids are clamoring for something sweet, here are some treat ideas that are both healthy and no-bake.

Frozen fruit: Skip the sugar-laden commercial fruit bars and serve up a bowl of luscious fruit straight from the freezer. My kids love frozen cherries: grapes, blueberries and peaches are all delicious straight from the freezer, as well. And a frozen banana with a little chocolate sauce on it is as good as any ice cream with a lot less fat and sugar!

No Bake Energy Balls: These peanutty bits of deliciousness would be great with almond butter as well, and your kids will never imagine they are good for them. Here's another, more cookielike version that is delicious and something your kids can help you make.

Microwave potato chips: No kidding, you can use the microwave for this at a fraction of the calories  and fat of the store-bought version. And if you have never had fresh, hot, crunchy-salty-good homemade chips, these are a revelation. Here's a version that uses traditional white potatoes, and here's an even healthier one that uses sweet potatoes.

Real cooked pudding: This treat is typically full of egg yolks and heavy cream, but there are lower-fat versions like this low-fat chocolate pudding around the web. Or try this low-fat vanilla pudding spooned over fresh fruit for a delicious parfait. Yes, this requires a little stove time, but your older kids can help you stir and then it chills into pure comforting deliciousness.

What's your favorite healthy sweet treat?

Image ŠIStockPhoto/razmarinka

by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
batjmom
by Sarah on Jun. 14, 2013 at 7:51 AM
Homemade smoothies
Frozen smoothies
sukainah
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Good ideas.  I like the frozen fruit idea!

elasmimi
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:47 AM

We make a lot of smoothies. I keep frozen cubes of yogurt and frozen fruit just for that purpose.

dusky_rose
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Snagging your energy ball recipe, thanks!

terri76
by Gold Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:33 AM
We make alot of frozen fruit smoothies here with yogurt..mmmmmmmm
Lauren486
by Lauren on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:42 AM

We have been on a big smoothie kick here lately.  We just buy the frozen fruit and toss it in the blender with some yogurt, and milk.  Sometimes I add a bit of honey and vanilla but they're really not missed when omitted either.  

We've made energy balls before as well and I love those.  We'll have to try them again soon! 

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Frozen fruit

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 10:51 AM

I like frozen yogurt the best!

ChancesMommy07
by on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:22 AM

We eat a lot of frozen fruit. I pick tons of blackberries during the summer and what I don't turn into jelly or jam gets frozen. Same with our peaches, strawberries, and grapes. 

arpazia
by Bronze Member on Jun. 14, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Microwave chips... Well I never
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement