Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Got 20 Minutes? Try Making Pop-Tarts at Home!

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 34 Replies

OK, so these aren't "homemade" in the sense that I slaved over the pastry crust, but they come a lot closer to being homemade than the dry, sad versions you can get in the grocery store, plus they make for a fun baking project to do with kids. Let them pick their own fillings, drizzle the icing on the pastries, and sprinkle the um, sprinkles on as well. Your kids will be so excited to eat the food that THEY made!

Ingredients:

1 package of 2 pre-made pie crusts or make your own.

Fillings for the pastries. Try jams, cinnamon sugar, Nutella, lemon curd, peanut butter with chocolate chips, etc.

1 egg for an egg wash

1 cup powdered sugar

2 tbsp milk

Colorful sprinkles

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Unroll your thawed pie crusts. Working on parchment paper, square off the edges and cut into rectangles long enough to fold over on themselves. In the center of one half of each rectangle, place a little more than a teaspoon of the filling of your choice, spreading it around a little. Brush the edges of the pastry with a bit of beaten egg, and fold the pastry in half onto itself. Using a fork, crimp the edges of the pastry to seal the two halves together, if that makes sense. Put the parchment paper on a baking pan if you haven't already and bake the pastries for about 8 minutes, till golden brown.

Meanwhile, mix the powdered sugar and milk together to make a glaze. When the pastries are cooked, drizzle the glaze over them with a fork, sprinkle with your sprinkles, and admire the pretty snack you've just made!

Do you have any recipes that imitate store-bought foods?

(C)istockphoto.com/JBryson

by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
batjmom
by Sarah on Jun. 13, 2013 at 6:48 AM
There would be fun to make with the kids.
I don't have anything I copy from the store, that I can think of.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:00 AM

I have plenty of copycat recipes!  Ketchup, Manwich sauce, taco seasoning (Taco Bell), Miracle Whip, salad dressings (Italian, sweet French, Ranch), Brisk tea with lemon, and many more.

Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 7:57 AM
That sounds fun!
KarenandErnie
by Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Oooh, I would be sooo interested in hearing your Taco Bell copycat. 

Quoting michiganmom116:

I have plenty of copycat recipes!  Ketchup, Manwich sauce, taco seasoning (Taco Bell), Miracle Whip, salad dressings (Italian, sweet French, Ranch), Brisk tea with lemon, and many more.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jun. 13, 2013 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this
  • 2 Tbsp. flour (can leave out if gluten-free)
  • 2 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp. dry onion flakes
  • 1 tsp. paprika
  • 1 tsp. instant beef bouillon granules
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
  • shake of red pepper flakes (optional)

Add to 1 lb. browned ground beef along with 3/4 c. water (1/4 c. if not using flour.)  Mix well and allow to simmer for a few minutes.

Quoting KarenandErnie:

Oooh, I would be sooo interested in hearing your Taco Bell copycat. 

Quoting michiganmom116:

GwenMB
by Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Being gluten free, I do make homemade versions of many foods.  I have a cream of mushroom soup mix, taco seasoning - and now I'm blanking on other good examples.

elasmimi
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 9:28 AM

I have a cookbook that copies restaurant foods.

sukainah
by on Jun. 13, 2013 at 9:35 AM

That sounds like a fun recipe.

I don't have anything I copy from the store.

copperswifey
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I have recipes for pop tarts, hostess cupcakes, twinkies, cheese its, wheat thins, frosted animal crackers, fig newtons, vanilla wafers, gold fish, graham crackers, oreos, hot pockets, fruit roll ups, and fruit snacks :)

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Jun. 13, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I have one too.

Quoting elasmimi:

I have a cookbook that copies restaurant foods.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement