Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Seaweed Is Having a Moment

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 33 Replies
1 mom liked this

In the past week, I have: purchased and enjoyed a packet of something called Roasted Seaweed Snack, seen a giant pack of seaweed at Costco, and heard a story about the various culinary uses for seaweed on the public radio show The Splendid Table.

As much as you might think "eating seaweed? Like, that tickly, slimy stuff that gets you grossed out when it touches you at the beach? No thank you" it's actually very common in many Asian cuisines, especially Japanese. As a matter of fact, if you have had sushi you've enjoyed the earthy, savory taste of toasted nori, which is used to wrap sushi rolls.

Most seaweed salads are made with dried seaweed, which you can find at Asian markets and places like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's...some big supermarkets might also have them. Just rehydrate the sheets, chop them and add a dressing....try rice wine vinegar and sesame oil with some grated ginger.

If salads aren't your thing, try the roasted seaweed snacks that are popping up more and more places. They are low-calorie, generally pretty inexpensive, and addictive once you get used to them. The slightly chewy texture is weird at first...let them melt in your mouth a little. I think they have a meaty "umami" taste that is very satisfying.

Beyond taste, seaweed pretty much can't be beat in the amount of nurtrition per calorie. Different seaweeds have different nutritional profiles, but all of them are chock full of the good stuff like potassium, calcium, and Omega-3 fatty acids. It's definitely worth giving these nutritional powerhouses a try!

Have you tried seaweed?

Image ŠIStockPhoto/Jeannette Lambert

by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lulalacroix
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 3:06 AM
Yes! My family goes through an 8 pack in no time. We love them crumbled in soup or over rice, but our favorite way is straight outta the packet as a snack.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jun. 19, 2013 at 5:46 AM

No, we have not tried seaweed.

batjmom
by Sarah on Jun. 19, 2013 at 6:51 AM
I have not tried it
ChancesMommy07
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Nope. I've never even seen it around here. 

kaybear123
by Kayla on Jun. 19, 2013 at 7:54 AM
I hate seaweed.
Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Nope and I dont think we will
Bob192
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Nope, can't see myself buying it.  If someone had it for me to try I'd do it.  I wouldn't want to spend money on it without knowing what it tasted like.

GwenMB
by Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 5:49 PM

I haven't, and don't know that I will. That is a bit out there for me.

la_bella_vita
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2013 at 5:57 PM

No, I have not tried it yet. Many of my friends enjoy it though

jessicasmom1
by Laina on Jun. 19, 2013 at 6:13 PM

no pee whew I smelled it cooking one day 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement