Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Make This Juicy Peach Cobbler Tonight!

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 25 Replies

It's not peach season here in New England yet, we have to wait until August for our peaches to appear and ripen, but if you travel just a little ways down the eastern seaboard to Georgia, their peach season is in full swing. Luckily, my local grocery store is loaded with Georgia peaches, so it's time for me to start making peach cobbler. I will not stop making peach cobbler until the end of the New England season in September. Basically, peach cobbler will be the death of me.

Ingredients

Filling:

6 or 7 ripe, fragrant peaches (writing that just made my mouth water)

1/3 cup of sugar

zest and juice of one lemon

1 tsp of cornstarch

1/2 tsp vanilla

Topping:

1 cup of boiling water

1 cup flour

1/2 cup sugar

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1 stick of butter

First, preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Slice your peaches and toss them with the sugar, zest, lemon juice, cornstarch and vanilla. Make sure the cornstarch is not clumpy on the peaches. Put the coated peaches in a 9 inch baking pan and bake for 12 minutes.

While those bake, prepare your dough. Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together. Chop up the stick of butter and cut it into the flour mixture until somewhat combined. The mixture should look like pebbles a bit. Next, dribble in the hot water a little at a time. You probably won't use most of the water, you want to stir it in until the dough just comes together. You don't want it completely wet, or to have clumps of dry stuff, either. 

Take your peaches out of the oven, reduce the heat to 375 degrees and spoon the batter haphazardly onto the peach mixture. It doesn't need to be perfect at all. Put the dish back in the oven for 30 minutes or until goldeny brown and done.

What's your favorite kind of cobbler?

(C)istockphoto.com/hipokrat

by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
campingmomof4
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:12 AM

This looks good.  Can't wait to the peaches are fresh here in August so I can make this. 

batjmom
by Sarah on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:23 AM
I'll have to save this for when peaches are better here. I really don't have a favorite cobbler pie
p608319chef
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 7:27 AM
I have two nice ripened peach trees in my yard he!! Time to bake!!
ChancesMommy07
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 8:16 AM

I make peach cobbler once a week,lol. But I also make blackberry, strawberry, and apple. Cobbler is kind of a mainstay dessert here in WV.

sweetheart4171
by Peggy on Jun. 20, 2013 at 9:28 AM

OMG, this sounds soooo good!!  Can't wait to make this one!

DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I think the type of texture that you want is why there are so many peach cobbler recipes. I really like the one where you cube up the french toast sticks and layer them with the peaches and top it with a sugary glaze after baking. I also like the one that has a ton of spices like cinnamon, cloves, etc. The one with yellow cake mix and canned peaches is quick and easy for every day dessert and taste yummy. The heavy pastry layered ones are my least favorite. During the wintry bitter cold, I like the one with biscuits and my entire family loves the campfire peach cobbler.

kaybear123
by Kayla on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Sounds good!

terri76
by Gold Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 7:45 AM
Mmmmm sounds good. I prefer apple cobbler though :-)
Lauren486
by Lauren on Jun. 21, 2013 at 8:15 AM

I have never made my own cobbler but any kind is my favourite if it's made with fresh fruit!  Looks delish!

Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 8:37 AM
Yum!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN