Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Delicious Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts On The Grill

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 29 Replies

Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are some of the healthiest protein you can eat...they are low-fat and cook in a flash. Unfortunately, they are also really easy to dry out, and can go from succulent to inedible in no time on the grill. Unless you know a few tricks, that is.

One thing that's key is to pound out the breasts to a uniform thickness. Otherwise, the thinner end will have the consistency of drywall by the time the thick end is cooked through. Put them on a cutting board and cover them with plastic wrap (or put them in a gallon-size plastic bag) and whack at them with an empty wine bottle or a rolling pin (unless you have a meat pounder). I think this also makes the meat a little more tender. Pound them to about an inch or so in thickness...start in the middle of the thick part and pound out from there.

Once that's done, pop them in a brine before you light the grill. You can make a brine with salt, sugar and any seasonings you like. Here's a basic brine recipe; obviously, if you are only grilling a few chicken breasts for your family, you can scale it down from those proportions. Put them in a gallon zipper bag and pour the brine in, or use a resealable plastic container. The key is to have all the chicken well-submerged in the brine. Let it soak for at least half an hour (but don't go too much longer than that); while you're waiting, light the grill and prep your sides.

Finally, you need a nice hot fire, but make a two-level fire so there's a cooler zone on your grill. That way, if they are browned before they cook all the way through, you can move them to the cooler part to finish cooking. They should only need about 3-4 minutes per side. Let them rest for a few minutes to allow juices to reabsorb, and then serve. They should be flavorful, juicy and delicious!

What's your favorite trick for delicious chicken on the grill?

Image ŠIStockPhoto/mpessaris

by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
batjmom
by Sarah on Jun. 26, 2013 at 8:02 AM
Chili lime grilled chicken
batjmom
by Sarah on Jun. 26, 2013 at 8:03 AM
Caribean jerk chicken
TerriC
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:25 AM
I make garlic lime chicken, what kind of chili do you use? That sounds good.

Quoting batjmom:

Chili lime grilled chicken

LOswald0314
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:42 AM

My favorite!

Quoting batjmom:

Caribean jerk chicken

sweetheart4171
by Peggy on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:43 AM

the other day I had some chicken breasts and decided to grill them.  I didn't marinate them and was scared they would be dry when done.  I spiced them up, honestly I forget what I used and grilled them slowly.  I was so surprised they were so good and juicy, now to just remember what I did!!!

LOswald0314
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I like soaking mine in Italian dressing (bottled) before grilling. So yummy.

TheBabyFactory4
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:16 PM
That looks good.
4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I like to marinade mine before grilling.  Making the thickness uniform is a must. 

Leelee1008
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I like a mesquite marinade

timon95
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:09 PM
we love chicken on the grill. i like to try different marinades, usually some sort of bbq
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement