Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Steak and Veggie Packets on the Campfire

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 40 Replies

Camping is a lot of fun, but I have to admit I get tired of eating hot dogs, chips and smores all day. When dinnertime comes I want something substantial and warm to eat. These packets do the trick, and can include any variety of meat and vegetables, just be cautious if taking raw pork or chicken camping. I like to dice the meat in advance and pack it in tupperware under the ice in the cooler. These packets are also delicious done on the grill at home.

Ingredients:

1-2 lbs steak tips

1 red bell pepper 

1 onion

2 medium sized potatoes

2 cups snapped green beans

1/2 cup olive oil

1/4 cup red wine vinegar

3 cloves of garlic, minced

1/2 tsp dried basil

1/2 tsp dried oregano

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

An hour before cooking, lay out 4 sheets of foil that are about a foot long each. Dice your steak, pepper, onion, potatoes and green beans. Divide the meat and vegetables evenly between the foil sheets. Mix the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, spices, salt and pepper together and pour over the top of the meat and veg piles. Next, gather the sides of the foil together so they meet in the center of the packets, folding them over three times so they seal. Do this on the ends of the packets as well. The packets should be completely closed now. Put the packets back in the cooler and allow to marinate for an hour or so, or if you're hypoglycemic like me throw them on the coals of the fire or on the grill and allow to cook for 25 minutes, carefully flipping them halfway through. Remove from the fire and open carefully (they will release a lot of steam) to check for doneness.

What foods do you take camping?

(c)istockphoto.com/ideabug

by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweetheart4171
by Peggy on Jun. 25, 2013 at 7:20 AM

I'd love to camp but my hubby isn't the camping type so we don't.  This would be an awesome meal over the grill will give it a try!

batjmom
by Sarah on Jun. 25, 2013 at 7:23 AM
Im not the camping type.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jun. 25, 2013 at 7:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting sweetheart4171:

I'd love to camp but my hubby isn't the camping type so we don't. 

Same here  : (

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jun. 25, 2013 at 7:59 AM

We camped a LOT when I was growing up.  I loved those pie-maker things where you'd put a slice of bread into each side, added your choice of sweet or savory fillings, then closed it (sealing the edges of the bread) and cooked the "pie" in the campfire until the bread was toasted.

Bmat
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Thank you for the recipe.  I don't do much camping. As you mentioned, hot dogs are easy. :)

goddess99
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Brats, hotdogs, potatoes, smores.

sukainah
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Yummy, that sounds great.  

We don't do any camping.  We're boring lol

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Sounds good, but we don't go camping.

Lauren486
by Lauren on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Yum, that sounds perfect for home, let alone camping!  

We are not the camping sort...

RobynS
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Yum! We haven't done a lot of camping yet with the kids, but we're hoping to sometime this summer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement