Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

When a mom says her child will only eat chicken nuggets do you think.....

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:02 PM
  • 46 Replies

I feel your pain cause mine is the same way?

Or do you think, BS! You're the one that feeds him chicken nuggets.  Feed him something else.

by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BadGoat
by New Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:24 PM
2 moms liked this

I am going with the BS. I know a Lady who feeds her son junk all the time. She was cooking him bacon for his meal the other night. No veggies, no nothing, his entire meal was bacon. Why would he want to eat veggies or anything good for him? If your child doesn't like anything but chicken nuggets then he or she probably hasn't been given much else to choose from. JMO

dandylynes
by Sonnie on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I am going with BS too.  I understand there are kids with sensory disorders, but it just takes a bit more work I guess.

bzzybeemomof3
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:53 PM
BS. IMO.

A child eats what parents feed them. My kids are not picky cause they were feed."real" food at 6 months old. No processed foods (on occasion) were not perfect lol. And they were given a variety of.foods nothing was held back at that age.
Now at 11 and 5 and 16.5 months they have a great pallet for foods. They do enjoy nuggets but only homemade they would wine if I tried to give them the processed kind. Lol

Unless SPD was an issue, even then they shouldn't just have that. Parents have become lazy in food for some reason. And I have a child with SPD. It still wouldn't happen.
sweetheart4171
by Peggy on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:23 PM

BS...if you at least give them an option rather than giving them the choice you will never know!  And even making a plate look fun and enticing would get a child to eat as well

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Actually?  I've seen this in my SIL, who fed her toddlers hot dogs and mac & cheese every day for lunch because she said they wouldn't eat anything else.  I feel sorry for both the mom and the child...the mom because she usually just doesn't know any better/is a weak parent, and the child because of what they're missing.

SanDiegoMomof2
by New Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I call BS.  Give the kid(s) options, or just remove the nuggets as an option all together.  That's what we did with DS when he started demanding (!! uh...no, kid) that I feed him ONLY nuggets.  He eventually figured out that he can eat what I cook or nothing and has come to realize that he really DOES like most things I make.  If he tries a few bites and still says he doesn't then that's fine because at least he tried it.  I'm not a short order cook, dude.  Eat.

megandwade
by Silver Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow.. I am really surprised that all of you feel that way (and slightly offended) !

My son is 2 and he is extremely picky. He eats other things, not literally just nuggets, but it is a phrase I have used.. We actually have 4 therapist that come to our house and work with him weekly, all of which are working on getting him to expand his menu (and he has made awesome progress!). I'm sure there are many cases when it is purely BS and laziness on the parents part but you should know not all cases are such. I work very hard to try and get my son to eat a healthy variety of foods.

He does have SPD as well as a cleft palate and a speech and language processing disorder...

The muscles that you use to speak are the same muscles that you use to chew... because his speech did not develop properly his eating habits were affected.. combined with the sensory issues, swallowing issues, and avoidance to try new things.. my sons diet is something that we work on everyday!

mamakin616
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 3:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I have seven kids and they all were given fruits and vegetables and healthy food as soon as they could chew them,granted they each had their favorites ,but not one of them ever demanded to eat a certain thing and nothing else...That is the parents fault for doing as the child tells them ,instead of doing what is healthy and best for the child.

terri76
by Gold Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Ehhhh i guess to me it does not matter..simply because it is not my family or my child. I know what i feed my child and basically i do not care what anyone else thinks..although i was blessed with a non-picky eater..I know there are cases out there that are!! :-) LOL (not trying to be rude..lol)

Bradensmommy719
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Don't feel offended. You have a much different situation.

My son would eat anything as a small toddler. Then he went through a phase where he wanted to be picky. Did I give in sometimes yes. However, he had to take a certain amount of bites before he could say he didn't like it. Bites per age as example age 3 , 3 bites of whatever it was. He know gets a choice some night was to what he wants for dinner. I say BS if the parent gives in and won't try to better the situation. As for medical reasons I don't think the parents complain but they have to settle for what they child can and will eat. If that makes sense.

Quoting megandwade:

Wow.. I am really surprised that all of you feel that way (and slightly offended) !

My son is 2 and he is extremely picky. He eats other things, not literally just nuggets, but it is a phrase I have used.. We actually have 4 therapist that come to our house and work with him weekly, all of which are working on getting him to expand his menu (and he has made awesome progress!). I'm sure there are many cases when it is purely BS and laziness on the parents part but you should know not all cases are such. I work very hard to try and get my son to eat a healthy variety of foods.

He does have SPD as well as a cleft palate and a speech and language processing disorder...

The muscles that you use to speak are the same muscles that you use to chew... because his speech did not develop properly his eating habits were affected.. combined with the sensory issues, swallowing issues, and avoidance to try new things.. my sons diet is something that we work on everyday!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement