The Family Piggy Bank

Planning for your family's future

Group Home

Mind Your Peas

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 27 Replies

Is there anyone who doesn't like peas? Okay, my five-year-old, and probably the kids who live in some of your houses. But these easy, sweet, delicious little round green beauties ... and their crunchy cousins...are in season right now.And if you have only had them canned, eating them fresh out of the garden is like eating an entirely new, and much more delicious, food.

Most of us are familiar with the English pea or garden pea, which are shelled before eating. The problem with these is that they turn from sweet and plumply delicious to starchy and a little dry very soon after being picked. If you can't taste them or unless you know exactly when they were picked, pass them up; frozen is actually better than fresh in this case.

Frozen peas are a staple in my house for adding veggies to fast meals. You can actually put frozen peas in the bottom of a colander before you drain pasta, and the heat from the pasta and the water will cook them. Another classic presentation is simply tossed with a little butter and chopped fresh mint.

Similar to garden peas but served in the shell, sugar snap peas are sweet, crunchy and addictive eaten raw. They look great in stir-fries and pasta, too. Look for glossy pods that feel plump and full, and take off the ends before eating if they are tough.

Snow peas are staples of Asian cuisine, and are amazing stir-fried as briefly as possible in a little bit of sesame oil. These go from crisp and sweet to limp and nasty in mere seconds, so keep a close eye. Personally, I love these raw and eat them like chips.

For all peas, it's important to cook them very briefly; these are delicate beauties!

How do you like to cook peas?

Image ŠIStockPhoto/FuatKose

by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bradensmommy719
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 2:05 AM
I don't like them. I prefer fresh green beans.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jun. 28, 2013 at 6:10 AM

We don't eat peas very often.  I prefer to steam them or else blanch fresh and use in a pea salad.

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 6:19 AM

I've actually taken some frozen peas and put them in the water when I boil it for ramen noodles.

I love snap peas, too. I just use them as a side dish or in a salad.

CafeMom Tickers
batjmom
by Sarah on Jun. 28, 2013 at 7:51 AM
Not a pea fan. The only way we like them is fresh from the garden. I only plant a couple plants and still get plenty
Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:03 AM
We love peas in my house... I just boil them.. my sob who's 1 loves peas!!
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:11 AM

I usually steam them.

goddess99
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:27 AM

My dh hates the peas he has found in America. He tries to explain to me what he used to eat in England but they just aren't here. So my dd and I are the ones who likes peas, I usually just simmer them or eat them raw.

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:29 AM
We love peas. I use them as a side vegetable, add them to salads, and I use them in a pasta dish and add olive oil and garlic.
4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:55 AM

My family loves them but they're not my favorite green veggie.  We boil them with potatoes and seasoning meat. 

candycrush
by Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:48 AM

I've never made them fresh. But we have canned peas everytime we have meatloaf.  Have to eat them with mashed potatoes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)