Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

is it possible to survive without carbohydrates?

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:45 AM
  • 19 Replies

my friend recently went on a diet and she never eat anything but water and protein.

I know some people do this kind of crush diet. but is it really healthy?

I think I can survive without saturated fat. but I still need carbohydrates.

what do you think?

by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shoota
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 3:11 AM

NOOOO!!!!

Moderation with everything is the key. There is no fad diet that is going to work. Eat balanced meals, ones that are portioned. Eat small meals every 2-3 hours. Thats the big secret!!

schultzal
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 3:12 AM
Absolutely not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZennMomma
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 3:32 AM

That is VERY unhealthy. Carbs from veggies are really good for weight loss. If you get rid of carbs you will put yourself in ketosis, your body will start eating protein for energy and it can mess you up.

limiting breads, pasta, rice etc is ok, but cutting all carbs is dangerous.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jun. 26, 2013 at 6:38 AM
1 mom liked this

A lot depends on what the protein sources are (some do have carbs), and whether she's eating fat, too.  The body is very capable of surviving on water & protein sources as long as there is adequate fat (have her Google "rabbit starvation syndrome".)  She'll feel lousy for a few days while her body converts to a ketogenic state of using fat for fuel, but once she's there she'll feel better. 

The body needs fuel, period.  If it doesn't get carbs, it will burn fat a.k.a. ketosis.  (It's too much work to burn protein for fuel, so the the body uses that as a last resort.)  Everyone's body goes into ketosis every single day unless they're constantly fueling their bodies by eating every 3 to 4 hours, even during the night.  Ketosis is not dangerous....ketoACIDosis is dangerous but it is extremely rare to see it in anyone that is not a Type 1 diabetic or an alcoholic.

What's dangerous about what she is doing is that she's missing out on vital nutrients.  I have to eat low carb, and I know that certain vitamins aren't found in protein sources and need to be consumed every day, such as vitamin C.  She can get that from low calorie/low carb foods such as bell peppers or broccoli.  She'll still lose weight on a low carb diet of protein and non-starchy veggies, and she can remain healthy while doing so. 

Sisteract
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:13 AM

No

elasmimi
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:14 AM

not healthy, in my opinion.

terri76
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Well i wouold not think so..but i would not do it

aneela
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:18 PM

not for me lol

aneela
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 11:18 PM

i love rice...potatoes...pasta

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN