The Family Piggy Bank

Planning for your family's future

Group Home

Three Recipes for 10 Minute Refrigerator Pickles

Posted by   + Show Post

We garden here, and for the past few seasons we have had a nearly OBSCENE abundance of cucumbers. Don't get me wrong, I like cucumbers, but there is a finite amount of salad that I'm willing to eat, and sometimes there just isn't enough time to put them up as dill pickles, so instead I make refrigerator pickles. These recipes are quick, will last in the fridge for 3 weeks or so, and only need to sit overnight before serving. I also threw a recipe for pickled grapes that I got from Smitten Kitchen in there for fun.

My Mom's Sweet Marinated Cucumbers and Onions 

3 Cucumbers, sliced very thinly

1 Vidalia Onion, sliced very thinly

3/4 C white vinegar

3 tbsp granulated sugar

1 tsp mustard seed

Mix the cucumbers and onion in a tupperware container. On the stovetop boil the vinegar and stir the sugar in until dissolved. Allow to cool and pour over the vegetables, add the mustard seed. Stir to combine, cover and put in the refrigerator overnight.

Dill Pickles

3 Cucumbers, sliced lengthwise into spears

2 large sprigs of fresh dill

2 Cloves garlic, smashed

1 small Serrano Pepper

1 C white vinegar

1 C water

1 tsp salt

Slice the cucumbers into spears, place in a jar or tupperware container with the dill, garlic and pepper. Boil the water, vinegar and salt until the salt is dissolved, pour it over the cucumber mixture. Cover the mixture and allow to sit overnight in the fridge.

Sweet Cinnamon Pickled Grapes

1 lb red or black grapes, with the button ends removed

1 cup of white vinegar

1 cup sugar

1 tsp mustard seeds

1 cinnamon stick

1/4 tsp salt

Fill a jar or tupperware container with the grapes. Boil the vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, cinnamon stick and salt until just incorporated. Allow to cool and then pour it over the grapes, cover and let sit in the fridge overnight. Enjoy with a cheese plate or on their own.

Do you ever make pickles?

(c)istockphoto.com/jmbatt

by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-33):
Lauren486
by Lauren on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:19 AM
1 mom liked this

You should try. Would be a great activity to do with the kids too! 

Quoting dusky_rose:

I haven't made pickles before, but I'm keeping this in the back of my mond in case I want to.

Lauren486
by Lauren on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:21 AM

Hmmm.... that's one I wouldn't have thought of!  Could you bring some to me to try ;)  

Quoting copasetic1:

Pickled grapes are sooooo good!

KarenandErnie
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Dilly Beans!!! They are the BEST. I'm curious about your pickled grapes recipe now. I haven't tried pickling onions yet, but I love pickled onions on andwiches, I should probably make my own.

Quoting copasetic1:

I make bread and butter pickles, dilly beans, pickle relish, piccalilli, hot relish, and pickled onions. I can them. I also pickle grapes, though my recipe is a bit different. I haven't canned the grapes yet, though I hear they turn out great.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)