Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Making homemade bread!?!

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 7:44 PM
  • 13 Replies

So i have been going back and forth with the idea of starting to make our own bread for our family. My grandma always made their bread by scratch and its one of my favorite things to eat when we visit! However, i will admit that in the kitchen I can most of the time be pretty lost. I make banana bread pretty regularly but have never made any other type of bread. Should I get a bread machine or where do I start? Simple healthy recipes that a 3 yr old, 2 yr old will enjoy? 

by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 7:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweetheart4171
by Peggy on Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:15 PM

I myself have a bread machine but haven't used it in years but want to get back in the making of bread mode.  This seems like a great recipe without a bread machine

http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2007/11/04/homemade-bread-cheap-delicious-healthy-and-easier-than-you-think/

kiki352182
by New Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:22 PM

thank you so much! i will for sure be trying this out ASAP!

Sisteract
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 11:21 PM

I experiment all the time. I love breads made with almond and peanut flours.

kiki352182
by New Member on Jun. 29, 2013 at 12:37 AM

do you use a bread machine for yours?

mainecasey1
by New Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:52 PM

I occasionally make breads, but most of the breads I make are quick breads and I don't own a bread machine so mine are baked in the oven.

lulalacroix
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 6:07 AM

I make homemade bread all the time, without a bread machine.  I also make hamburger buns, hot dog puns, pizza dough, bagels, umm...forgetting something.  Anyways, if you can get your hands on the Julia Childs bread making recipe, it's the best.  Making bread without a bread machine requires understanding how moist/dry the dough should be, how it feels prior to being kneaded, and how it should feel after it is kneaded.  It took me a while to get this, but was totally worth it.  And I seriously doubt a good crust can be achieved on a french loaf when using a bread machine!

junebaby11
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:39 AM
I make bread with and without my bread machine. If im in a hurry or can't be bothered I put ingredients in bread machine it does all of the work
batjmom
by Sarah on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Think I will try this one too
Thanks

Quoting sweetheart4171:

I myself have a bread machine but haven't used it in years but want to get back in the making of bread mode.  This seems like a great recipe without a bread machine

http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2007/11/04/homemade-bread-cheap-delicious-healthy-and-easier-than-you-think/

mom2many2count
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:25 AM

I just taught my daughter how to make homemade bread and once you get the feel for the dough it is actually quite easy

kiki352182
by New Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:14 PM

ladies thank you so much for all the responses! makes me feel much more confident to try and make my first try out. will have to let you guys know how it turns out : ) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement