Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Filling, Healthy and Summery Ratatouille

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 31 Replies

I know it's hot out and the last thing you want to do is fire up the stove top, but the season for ratatouille's ingredients is NOW, so crank up that air conditioning and get thee to a farmers market! Ratatouille is a hot vegetarian (vegan, too, if you omit the Parmesan garnish) stew that showcases zucchini, eggplant, red peppers and tomatoes in all their seasonal glory. The flavors meld together beautifully, and actually taste better the next day, like many tomato based dishes. 

Ingredients:

4 large tomatoes

8 garlic cloves, minced

20 basil leaves, torn into bits

1 cup olive oil

1 medium eggplant, peeled and cubed

2 tsp salt

2 onions, chopped

3 red bell peppers, chopped

4 zucchini, chopped

1/2 tsp black pepper

Parmesan cheese, as a garnish

Chop the tomatoes and add to the stove top with the garlic, 1/3 cup olive oil and basil. Simmer over low heat for 20-30 minutes. In the meantime, salt the chopped eggplant and leave sitting in a colander in the sink, to release and drain excess water for 20 minutes. Then saute the onions and peppers in 1/3 cup olive oil with a pinch of salt.  When softened, remove from the pan and saute the zucchini and eggplant (which you've dried off with paper towels) in the remaining 1/3 cup of olive oil with another pinch of salt till soft.

Add all of your sauteed veggies to the tomato sauce along with the pepper and allow to simmer for 45 minutes. Allow to cool to room temp before serving with Parmesan cheese. It IS summer, after all.

If you have leftovers, which you probably will, try making a ratatouille and mozzarella grilled cheese. You will not regret it!

Do you ever make stew in the summer?

(c)istockphoto.com/travelinglight

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:45 AM

I usually don't make stew in the summer months, but I may have to give this one a try!

batjmom
by Sarah on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:53 AM
I usually do not but I have all these ingredients in my garden except eggplant. So this one I'll probably try
Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:38 AM
I usually don't, but this does look good
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Jul. 2, 2013 at 9:31 AM

This looks yummy!

sweetheart4171
by Peggy on Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:09 PM

I usually go for easy and quick meals in the summer but this one makes me want to make a trip to the farmer's market!!

ceciliam
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:10 PM

This sounds really good!

4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:26 PM

I usually make stews in fall and winter.  Summers are hot here and we stick with lighter dishes in the summer. 

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Sounds good. Every now & then I will make stew in the summer but not to often and normally in the crock pot. 

dusky_rose
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:46 PM

I wonder if one could make this in the crockpot instead of firing up the stove. I've never had Ratatouille before.

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Looks good!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN