Easy Caprese Pizza Bake from the Pillsbury site!
- teaspoons Crisco® 100% Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- lb bulk sweet Italian sausage
- cups pizza sauce
- cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- can Pillsbury® Grands!® Jr. Golden Layers® refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- fresh mozzarella ciliegine (cherry-size) cheese balls (from 8 oz container)
- cup shredded Parmesan cheese (1 oz)
- 1Heat oven to 400°F. In 12-inch skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of the oil over medium heat. Add sausage; cook 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until browned. Stir in pizza sauce, 1/4 cup water, and 1/4 cup of the basil leaves; cook over medium-low heat, 2 to 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- 2Meanwhile, separate dough into 10 biscuits; separate each biscuit into 2 layers to create 20 biscuits. Place 1 cheese ball in center of each biscuit. Carefully stretch dough around cheese; pinch edges to seal completely.
- 3Pour meat sauce into ungreased 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish. Place biscuits, seam sides down, on top of sauce. Brush tops of biscuits with remaining oil. Bake 13 to 20 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown and sauce is bubbly. Sprinkle with shredded cheese and remaining 1/4 cup basil.
Surprise! There's ooey, gooey melty cheese inside each baked biscuit. Sweet sausage, rich tomato sauce, fresh basil - that's Italian!
- Servings 5
- ingredients 7
- prep time 20 min
- total time 40 min