Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Gift-Worthy Carrot Cake Jam

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 49 Replies

I love giving homemade canned goods as gifts, especially if I've made something a little decadent and unusual. Tie a cute ribbon around the outside of the jar, or slap a hand written sticker on the side, and you've got a nice little hostess gift. This jam is just too good (and rich) to eat all by yourself, so whip up a batch to can and share with your loved ones! Try spreading this jam on a bagel with cream cheese. You will feel your bottom expand exponentially, but it will be WORTH it.

Ingredients:

1 peeled diced pear

2 cups of shredded carrots

1 large can of crushed pineapple in juice

2 tbsp bottled lemon juice

1/4 cup shredded coconut

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp nutmeg

1 package of fruit pectin (1.75 ounces)

6 cups of sugar

First, sterilize your canning equipment according to the instructions on the package. Set aside, leaving in the hot water bath until ready to fill. In a large saucepan, add the pear, carrots, pineapple, lemon juice, coconut, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cook over medium heat covered until everything appears tender, or about 13 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the pectin, stirring well. Return the pan to high heat and bring to a boil, adding the sugar gradually as it boils for a full minute. Remove from the heat. Using tongs, pull a sterilized jar out of the hot water, drain over a towel, and then fill it with jam, leaving less than a 1/4 inch space at the top. You don't want too much air left in the jar. Make sure the jar rim is clean before you screw on your 2 piece lids tightly. Continue onto the rest of the jars.

Once your jars are all filled and covered, put them back in your water bath (on a canning rack, they shouldn't touch the hot bottom of the pot) and bring the water back to a boil. The water needs to cover the tops of the jars by well over an inch. Boil the jars for 10 minutes, and then remove from the bath and allow to cool. Once they cool, press in the centers of the lids to check the seal, they should not bounce back or feel springy.

Do you ever make jam?

(c)istockphoto.com/dulezidar

by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 1:02 AM

What size jars are you using? I have not seen anything less than pint size ... but I have only looked in a few places.

The jam that I made in a cooking class only required a paraffin seal & lid assembly ... no hot water bath. It was a few years ago ... maybe it was for short term storage?

Why is there canned pineapple and bottled lemon juice in the recipe?  I was thinking that it would all be fresh. Is the coconut fresh or package?

MessedUpMama
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 1:15 AM

This sounds really good. I'll have to make some one day soon.

I do make jam. I've at least tried to make just about every kind of jam I can find the fruit and/or recipe for. Peach, blue berry, black berry, and strawberry lemon are favorites. I made some orange marmalade once, but my DH who asked for it almost never eats it. DS and I have used it to make orange chicken a couple of times and it works well that way.

KarenandErnie
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I use whatever size jar I have on hand, but usually pints. I don't recall how many jars this recipe filled the last time I made it-maybe 4? The coconut is packaged. I'm not sure why the recipe calls for canned pineapple but it could be a pasteurization thing, although you'd think the boiling would take care of any issues with fresh pineapple. As for the bottled lemon juice, I've read that bottled lemon juice has a more consistent Ph which is why people use it for canning. May not be true but I'm too chicken to risk it!

Quoting DissieDothe:

What size jars are you using? I have not seen anything less than pint size ... but I have only looked in a few places.

The jam that I made in a cooking class only required a paraffin seal & lid assembly ... no hot water bath. It was a few years ago ... maybe it was for short term storage?

Why is there canned pineapple and bottled lemon juice in the recipe?  I was thinking that it would all be fresh. Is the coconut fresh or package?

MessedUpMama
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:02 PM

There are half pint jars available in some places, but I've found that pints are a good size for jam.

It's not recommended to use paraffin to seal your jars. Maybe for short term storage like you suggested, but not for more than a few days I would think. You can keep it in the refrigerator for a while if you don't want to do the water bath method.

I don't know why they would use canned pineapple, but DissieDothe is right, the bottled lemon juice has a more consistent PH than actual lemons do. It is recommended in most recipes for jam these days.

Quoting DissieDothe:

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:26 AM

That sounds different but good!

I make jam every year.  I've already made 3 batches of strawberry freezer jam (requires 1 1/2 c. sugar) and may be making cherry freezer jam, maybe even peach or blueberry if I can find the fruit.

batjmom
by Sarah on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:19 AM
I have never made jam. My mom use to make the best strawberry jam
TerriC
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 8:35 AM

I never had but have wanted to try.  This sounds great!!!

sukainah
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Mmm, that sounds good!  I have never made jam, but my grandmother and mom used to make it and it was so good.

ChancesMommy07
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Interesting. I've never heard of carrot cake jam so I may have to give this a try!

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:28 AM

This sounds interesting.  I've never made my own jam, but I'd like to give it a try.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement