Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Is it possible to keep your house clean living with 16 month old?

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 2:13 PM
  • 27 Replies

My kitchen is like an old-fashion mud-room.  It's where the farm comes inside, drops off it's dirt and then heads to another room--toys, tools, clothes... basically the whole house resides in the kitchen at one point or another. 

I've been thinking about putting a single plastic tub in each room in the house.  That way when I need to speed-clean the kitchen (or at least make it less disgusting to cook in), I can zoom around the house, at least putting things in the right rooms, even if I don't have the time to put them in their right places at that moment. 

Has anyone else ever tried this?  Do you think it will just cause another back-up of things to do (read: just a lazy way of handling things), or do you think this is a good idea? 

My little Rosebud learned how to run at 11 months, and now that she's 16 months, and has to know what EVERYTHING is, and how she can either stack it on top of her latest Lego creation, or where she can "put it away" in a different shelf or drawer (she's a little OCD like her mom when it comes to organization), I am going literally crazy trying to keep up with the cleaning in this house!  I have a husband, but he refuses to clean, pick-up, or put anything away.  He's incredibly loveable and wonderful, but he's lucky he is, because I'm about ready to hire a cleaning lady, and pre-baby I was basically Monica off of Friends.

HELP!  I welcome any and every idea you guys can come up with. 

I've even considered LITERALLY throwing everything away that doesn't get put where it's supposed to go.  You know the old legal adage, "make it cheaper" (to do the right thing).  I would do that to everything in the house, if I didn't think my husband would just decide to ditch my butt.  ;)

by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 2:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dommad2
by New Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Do you have an attic, basement, or closet that doesn't get used?

Hide the stuff he can't manage to put away. My husband hates to clean so he learned really quick to put it away when he was done using it.
isaacsmommy68
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this

My house has toys everywhere, but it is clean. My husband is the same way, Except he thinks he does help. lol. I put his stuff in a pile on his side of the bed. He can put it away or sleep in it. It is hard to keep tidy with a toddler. If you keep the toys contained in containers in each room it may be easier. Clean as you go and the kitchen will not get discusting. I also put away all the knick knacks, it is one less thing to clean. Good luck!

dommad2
by New Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 2:24 PM
I agree! I am his wife not his mother or maid!

As for the little one I had a thought. What about giving her a rag so she can "help" by wiping things down!

Quoting isaacsmommy68:

My house has toys everywhere, but it is clean. My husband is the same way, Except he thinks he does help. lol. I put his stuff in a pile on his side of the bed. He can put it away or sleep in it. It is hard to keep tidy with a toddler. If you keep the toys contained in containers in each room it may be easier. Clean as you go and the kitchen will not get discusting. I also put away all the knick knacks, it is one less thing to clean. Good luck!

megandwade
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 3:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I think the plastic tubs sound like a great idea!

I'm also very "OCD" when it comes to cleaning and organization.. I can't stand having anything out of place. Our kitchen table is directly when you walk in the front door so anything that DH has in his hands gets set on the table as soon as he comes in (and often gets left there). It drives me crazy! My rules is the table, counters, and china hutch must stay free of clutter at all times. He constantly complains that I'm always moving his stuff around.. but Hey, He knows the rule!

KS_WAHM
by Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Our house was built in 1873, and there is only one 3 x 2 closet upstairs (none downstairs), and it's already filled with my husbands' things.  I keep our clothes organized in tupperware in the built-in shelves in the bathroom.

KS_WAHM
by Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Well, if I had the time to put things away right after they were used, I would.  There's no one to watch DD while I do that.  The only me-time I have (where I'm not watching DD) is after she goes to bed, which often doesn't happen until near 10.  She's down to one nap a day (10:30 to 12:30), and that's my time to eat brunch or do my job-work.

Maybe I'm just too lazy to handle it all.

Lauren486
by Lauren on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:26 PM

I like the idea of having bins in each room.  I have baskets in the living room, one for each of my 3 girls, and I try to keep all toys either in the baskets or upstairs.  Easier said than done of course, but they do help a lot. 

Lauren486
by Lauren on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like a British house.  Only one room in our house has a closet, and storage is a nightmare! 

Quoting KS_WAHM:

Our house was built in 1873, and there is only one 3 x 2 closet upstairs (none downstairs), and it's already filled with my husbands' things.  I keep our clothes organized in tupperware in the built-in shelves in the bathroom.

KS_WAHM
by Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:50 AM
2 moms liked this

British indeed!  It's a Victorian-style house in the strictest since, too.  In fact, my daughter makes the 7th generation of the same family that built it, and the family named the town the settled after a queen of England, as well.  :)

You actually helped me a TON by that comment.  I'm going to start looking at English-inspired websites for storage ideas.  Eventually, we'd like to build on (plus add a basement, rather than just the tiny storm cellar), but it's just not in the budget right now.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:49 AM

Quoting KS_WAHM:

British indeed!  It's a Victorian-style house in the strictest since, too.  In fact, my daughter makes the 7th generation of the same family that built it, and the family named the town the settled after a queen of England, as well.  :)

You actually helped me a TON by that comment.  I'm going to start looking at English-inspired websites for storage ideas.  Eventually, we'd like to build on (plus add a basement, rather than just the tiny storm cellar), but it's just not in the budget right now.

We've used armoires for storing clothes/toys/etc.

I don't have toddlers anymore, but I remember having 3 toddlers that were 3 years apart from oldest to youngest.  I kept a small tote in a corner of the living room for their toys, and they had a toy box in their room.  It took only a few minutes to pick up their toys at naptimes, then again before Daddy came home, and yet again just before bed.  If the toys became too overwhelming then I cut back on the amount of toys they had to play with. 

My granddaughter is 18 months old.  She has toys at my house, and they are kept in two baskets in two different areas of the house.  When she leaves after being here all day, it's a simple matter to gather the things she's played with and put them away.

As for keeping the house clean, that seems near impossible!  LOL  I cut the housework up into short bursts of tasks and it is a lot easier to keep up that way rather than try to do it all while little ones are underfoot.  My DH has told me that the house looks clean if  1. the surface clutter is eliminated i.e. things on tables, chairs, counters, windowsills and 2. the kitchen is neat and clean.  I concentrate on those things throughout the day and clean the floors as needed.  I do "room rescues" during the day which involve a quick neatening (5 minutes) in each room.  Bathroom is neatened daily.  All other chores are split up into weekly tasks.  These are my adaptations of Flylady techniques.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement