The Family Piggy Bank

Planning for your family's future

Group Home

Getting the Best Out of the Farmer's Market

Posted by   + Show Post

I love shopping at our city farmer's market. It's huge, filled with delicious goodies --  gourmet chicken sausage! Fresh baked goods! Vegetables and fruits picked mere hours before purchase! -- and I always feel better after shopping there than I do at the grocery store.

However, what it isn't full of is exclusively local and organic foods. There's a pervasive myth that everything at the farmer's market is local and organic, but that's not true. Sure, the people selling there are a lot more likely to be small farmers, and personally I like paying my money directly to the person who made the effort  to produce my food. But they are just as likely to use pesticides and herbicides of concern.

The benefit to the farmer's market, of course, is that you can ask the person who tended the crops. But don't simply ask "Do you use sprays?" Ask if the farmer follows organic practices, how they handle weeds, or what they do to repel pests. If they won't give you a specific answer, i.e. "We spray with pesticide X as the fruit is ripening and pull weeds mostly by hand" then move on.

Also, be aware that many large farmer's markets allow people to resell produce they bought elsewhere. My local farmer's market has a sign behind every stall with permit numbers and the word "dealer" or "producer"...dealers resell the produce, producers grew it themselves. Of course, someone being a dealer doesn't automatically mean the food's not local; it could be someone who bought, say, cherries, from the farms in a rural area and brought them into the city for the market. With everyone so concerned about local eating, they are pretty likely to be advertising where these things come from, even if they didn't grow them themselves. 

Know what's in season in your area...that's a good clue to what's local and what isn't. If it's May and you're seeing tomatoes, or August and there's lettuce, it's a good chance those were trucked in from elsewhere. One clue is to see what every table seems to have a ton of and what's cheapest...economics 101 in action! Many markets have an information table that will tell you what is in season and sometimes even where it was grown, or use this nifty interactive map.

And most of all, have fun! The point of the farmer's market is not to give the third degree to every single farmer, but to enjoy the give-and-take with the people who grew your food. They might even give you some cooking tips, or help you pick the most prime specimens. And you can feel good knowing that you helped keep another small farmer in business.

Do you shop at the farmer's market?

Image ŠIStockPhotos/canbalci

by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-28):
Wish2Be
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:19 PM

I shop at our local farmers market as often as I can :) I just love it ...so fresh and so cheap too ! :)

Wish2Be
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Quoting campingmomof4:

We have year around farmers markets here.   I go to them all the time. 

So do we ! :) 

CafeMom Tickers
emilyrosenj
by Margaret on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:44 PM

We have two indoor year round ones but in the nicer weather I try to hit the outdoor ones or farm stands.

t1gger143
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:48 PM

We're going today. My boys love going. 

bookworm326
by Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:15 AM
We usually go every week to the farmers market. This year we also bought into an organic CSA. We have loved the fresh veggies and it has gotten my dh to try some new things without any of my hiding tricks.
ChancesMommy07
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I shop at ours every weekend. I've been going there for years and I mostly shop off of the same people every time. They pretty much know what I want as soon as they see me coming,lol.

KaylaMillar
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:44 PM
Not really
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kaybear123
by Kayla on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:54 PM

I rarely ever go to farmer markets..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)