Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

bad smell in fridge

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 7:56 PM
  • 12 Replies
I have no idea what the heck it is!! I threw all my leftovers away today thinking that would do it.. nope still smells.. I'm going to have to pull everything out and see if there is anything hidden.. ugh it's driving me crazy!!
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 7:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 7, 2013 at 8:41 PM
3 moms liked this

Check the drain and the drip pan.  Mine are under the crisper drawers and there's many times that was where the smell was.

DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 10:41 PM
1 mom liked this

When my fridge does not smell pretty, firstly I look for fishing bait. Next I look for sports stuff - maybe a rinsed water bottle put in the fridge that should have been aired. I don't have much in the fridge all the time and the freezer might have something inside that fell off the top of the box like sports mixes, vitamins, etc. If I still don't find anything, I check around the c/a vents and something stinky that's being recycled in the breeze. That's usually it! Wet sweaty clothing!!! So why am I checking the fridge? I was hungry and my nose picked up on the foul odor. I should eat with my eyes only ... LOL!

lulalacroix
by Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 5:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Sometimes something old in the freezer can cause bad smells.  I always keep baking soda in their just in case.  And I noticed tonight that someone knocked it over - so it will be time to scrub the fridge again.  I don't know what I love the most, scrubbing fridge or scrubbing oven!

sweetheart4171
by Peggy on Jul. 8, 2013 at 7:26 AM
1 mom liked this

good luck finding it....it would drive me crazy too!!

dandylynes
by Sonnie on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Good luck!  I hope it's not making your food taste bad.

Lauren486
by Lauren on Jul. 8, 2013 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Hope you figure it out and get the smell gone soon.   I keep baking soda in the fridge but that doesn't always help.  I know with my kids getting older, my 6 year old gets in the fridge for her own snacks now, so there is always a chance she has spilled something or left something  open.  

KS_WAHM
by Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Haha!  This happens to me from time to time, so I take everything out and wash every little nook and cranny with Clorox.  Sometimes the smell goes away, sometimes it comes back and then I have to wash it again.  I never seem to FIND the source, just manage to kill it per happenchance.  LOL

Happy Hunting!!! 

Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this
The last time this happened I found the source... this time I didn't but the smell seems to be gone.. so I either threw it away or washed it away!

Quoting KS_WAHM:

Haha!  This happens to me from time to time, so I take everything out and wash every little nook and cranny with Clorox.  Sometimes the smell goes away, sometimes it comes back and then I have to wash it again.  I never seem to FIND the source, just manage to kill it per happenchance.  LOL

Happy Hunting!!! 

terri76
by Gold Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Glad you seemed to have found it!!! I was gonna suggest the drip pans and drains also!

SweetLuci
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 4:52 PM

It drove me crazy one time, I pulled everything out and cleaned and it was still there. finally figured out it was the drain pan, under the refrigerator, that had gotten plugged and mold was growing!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement