Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Do I have to use unsalted butter?

Posted by   + Show Post

So many recipes call for it but I don't want to have to buy something special.

by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:14 PM
Replies (11-19):
bookworm326
by Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 7:20 AM
Salt in butter changes the chemistry so you really shouldn't use it in place of regular butter for baking but in cooking it won't make much difference just cut the added salt.
ReniaEats
by Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Salted butter can mess up your baking, especially in finicky recipes. And who really needs the extra salt anyway? 

grandmotherof6
by Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 9:23 AM

yes

threenorns
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 1:46 PM

funny thing:  i bought unsalted butter because the recipe i was using was very emphatic on that point.

i was left with 3/4lb of unsalted butter.  i didn't want to waste it, so i just started using it on bread and the like and now i've come to prefer it (esp now that i have hypertension!). 

TheBabyFactory4
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 2:38 PM
This. I never do. I always use margarine and it turns out great. I just skip the salt

Quoting michiganmom116:

If you use salted butter, just cut back on the salt amount in the recipe.

RobynS
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Exactly what I was going to say. :)

Quoting michiganmom116:

If you use salted butter, just cut back on the salt amount in the recipe.

dusky_rose
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 3:53 PM

I think using salted butter may make it extra salty, unless you omit any extra added salt to the recipe.

4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I only buy unsalted butter.  If you have salted, just back on the salt in the recipe.

MessedUpMama
by Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:27 PM

It really depends on the recipe. Most of the time you can use salted butter if you cut back on the salt in the rest of the recipe. However, in other recipes (mostly baking recipes) the salt will change how it works.

For example: If you make puff pastry with salted butter it won't puff as well. The salt changes the way the butter evaporates, which is what causes the pastry to puff. It will puff some, and will taste fine, but if you want a really puffed pastry you need to use unsalted. Croissants are the same way, they puff better and are flaker with unsalted butter.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN