Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Breakfast Burritos Cooked On the Campfire

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 37 Replies
1 mom liked this

Usually when we go camping, I bring some quick oats, sugar, cinnamon and raisins for a hot breakfast, which is totally fine, but kind of boring. To mix it up the last time we went, I prepped a little in advance so I could assemble these burritos at the campsite for a quick hot breakfast. They were delicious and warming, just what we needed after a night of chilly, drizzly weather. Try these the next time you go camping! This recipe makes 4 burritos.

Ingredients:

4 small potatoes, baked and chopped

2 scallions, minced

8 slices of bacon, fried and crumbled

1 cup of grated cheddar

8 eggs

1 can refried beans

4 large flour tortillas

Hot sauce 

Heavy duty tin foil

Before you leave the house, bake and chop your potatoes, mince the scallion, fry and crumble the bacon. You can toss these all in the same container, or keep separate until you're ready to assemble the burritos. At the campsite, lay out 4 large sheets of foil, placing a tortilla on top of each. Spread a thin layer of refried beans over each tortilla. In a skillet over the campfire, heat up your bacon, potato and scallion mixture, adding the eggs as you go until the eggs are cooked through. Divide the hot egg mixture between the tortillas, sprinkle each with a 1/4 cup of cheddar, roll up your burritos, and wrap them in the tin foil. Throw the burritos on the grill over the campfire and cook for 5 minutes or so on each side. Open carefully, as there will be steam, and douse liberally with the hot sauce of your choice.

What's your favorite camping breakfast?

(c)istockphoto.com/dscott

by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:00 AM

Sounds good!

My favorite camping breakfast is scrambled eggs, bacon, nad sometimes fresh-caught fish.

batjmom
by Sarah on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:16 AM
I'm not a camper
ChancesMommy07
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I've made campfire burritos before and they are good. We go camping pretty much every weekend in the summer so I have a ton of campfire recipes. I always take my cast iron skillet so fried potatoes, onions, and kielbasa (or sausage) is a favorite. Mountain pies are another, filled with cherry pie filling.

Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:09 AM
We don't camp
Lissetteg
by New Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Thats a nice picture... we dont go camping much, sounds yummy. Glad you enjoyed it.

goddess99
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Usually I bring a sweet breakfast when I'm camping, something like danish or donuts.

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Jul. 11, 2013 at 3:33 PM

That sounds great! We cook up eggs on the camp stove or have something like donuts. 

dusky_rose
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:28 PM

We made something like this over a camp stove the last time we went camping.

Lauren486
by Lauren on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:51 PM

I'm not a camper, but this still sounds good :)

Lauren486
by Lauren on Jul. 11, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Ooohhh, I think I would enjoy camping if I had you there to cook for me!  :)

Quoting ChancesMommy07:

I've made campfire burritos before and they are good. We go camping pretty much every weekend in the summer so I have a ton of campfire recipes. I always take my cast iron skillet so fried potatoes, onions, and kielbasa (or sausage) is a favorite. Mountain pies are another, filled with cherry pie filling.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN