Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Breakfast Burritos Cooked On the Campfire

Posted by   + Show Post

Usually when we go camping, I bring some quick oats, sugar, cinnamon and raisins for a hot breakfast, which is totally fine, but kind of boring. To mix it up the last time we went, I prepped a little in advance so I could assemble these burritos at the campsite for a quick hot breakfast. They were delicious and warming, just what we needed after a night of chilly, drizzly weather. Try these the next time you go camping! This recipe makes 4 burritos.

Ingredients:

4 small potatoes, baked and chopped

2 scallions, minced

8 slices of bacon, fried and crumbled

1 cup of grated cheddar

8 eggs

1 can refried beans

4 large flour tortillas

Hot sauce 

Heavy duty tin foil

Before you leave the house, bake and chop your potatoes, mince the scallion, fry and crumble the bacon. You can toss these all in the same container, or keep separate until you're ready to assemble the burritos. At the campsite, lay out 4 large sheets of foil, placing a tortilla on top of each. Spread a thin layer of refried beans over each tortilla. In a skillet over the campfire, heat up your bacon, potato and scallion mixture, adding the eggs as you go until the eggs are cooked through. Divide the hot egg mixture between the tortillas, sprinkle each with a 1/4 cup of cheddar, roll up your burritos, and wrap them in the tin foil. Throw the burritos on the grill over the campfire and cook for 5 minutes or so on each side. Open carefully, as there will be steam, and douse liberally with the hot sauce of your choice.

What's your favorite camping breakfast?

(c)istockphoto.com/dscott

by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-37):
mrswillie
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Dh uses a cast iron skillet and makes eggs, potatoes and scrapple. We also like roasting bagels over an open fire.
mrswillie
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:19 AM
Quoting countrygirlkat:

We love doing kielbasa and potatoes!

Quoting ChancesMommy07:

I've made campfire burritos before and they are good. We go camping pretty much every weekend in the summer so I have a ton of campfire recipes. I always take my cast iron skillet so fried potatoes, onions, and kielbasa (or sausage) is a favorite. Mountain pies are another, filled with cherry pie filling.

Kielbasa is great on a camp tire. We put it on buns with grilled onions and a homemade spicy cheese sauce.

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 10:52 AM

This is my favorite now!  LOL.  This sounds SO good.  I love breakfast burritos and this one sounds yummy!

AlleyCat08
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Growing up, I was a Girl Scout, we cooked everything on an open fire. Same if we went family camping. Tents and all. My mom taught us how to make Spaghetti, bacon and eggs, pancakes and such. We made grilled cheese and even chicken (par boil the chicken before the trip, after cooled, stick in a zipper bag and keep chilled) we have also had many other things... oh, we even made Pinapple Upside Down cake in a dutch oven in a cardboard box lined with foil, hot coals placed inside and the dutch oven set inside on the coals. The box was closed with a rock infront, and coals added throughout the day.

I am much older, my back doesn't allow for ground sleeping, and I still love to camp. We have a huge cab over camper, but still do alot of cooking outside. My dh and I have made turkey stew, we have roasted a boneless turkey breast in the coals from breakfast. We season the turkey, wrap in foil and place in the hot coals (we dig a hole, and cover it). We also do many of the above items. 

Bob192
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 4:57 PM

What a great idea!!  I will have to do these next time!  We usually do pancakes.

alliesmom112
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:29 PM

yummy!

jessicasmom1
by Laina on Jul. 14, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Thanks for sharing

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN