Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kid Friendly Veggie Loaded Muffins

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 32 Replies
2 moms liked this

These muffins are fantastic to have on hand for snacks or quick breakfasts, and since they are relatively low in sugar, use whole wheat flour and are loaded with fruits and veggies, I don't hesitate to share them with our daughter Ernie. Make a couple batches of these and freeze the extras. They keep surprisingly well in the freezer.

Ingredients:

1/4 c canola oil

1/2 c brown sugar

3/4 c applesauce 

1 c carrot, grated

1 c zucchini, grated

1/2 c dried cherries

1.5 c whole wheat flour

2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp ginger

1/2 tsp salt

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, mix the wet ingredients, adding the grated carrot and zucchini and dried cherries. In a separate bowl, stir together the dry ingredients. Gradually mix the dry ingredients in with the wet ingredients until well combined.

Grease a muffin tray using a little oil or a spray, whichever you prefer. Divide the batter between the 12 muffin cups and bake for 18-20 minutes until golden, and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.

Do you ever make "healthy" muffins?

(c)istockphoto.com/ferrerivideo

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
copasetic1
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow, these sound great! Healthy and delicious. I love the addition of the cherries, and the veggies will make them really moist. Great recipe, thanks for sharing!

michiganmom116
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I make healthy muffins when I do make them.  My current fave is double chocolate zucchini muffins made with coconut flour.

boshs1andonly
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:49 AM
Quoting michiganmom116:

I make healthy muffins when I do make them.  My current fave is double chocolate zucchini muffins made with coconut flour.

That sounds really good! Mind sharing the recipe? I've been looking for healthy breakfast alternatives.
michiganmom116
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:58 AM

Quoting boshs1andonly:

Quoting michiganmom116:

That sounds really good! Mind sharing the recipe? I've been looking for healthy breakfast alternatives.

This isn't an overly sweet muffin like you'd expect.  It's got a pleasant flavor though.

Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins

• 1/2 c. butter, melted
  • 1//2 c. honey
  • 12 eggs
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 c. coconut flour
  • 1/2 c. cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 c. peeled and shredded zucchini
  • 1 c. semisweet chocolate chips

Mix butter and honey together.  Add eggs and vanilla and whisk well.  Stir in coconut flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and cinnamon until well mixed.  Stir in zucchini and chocolate chips.  Spoon into 24 paper-lined muffin cups in pans.  Bake in preheated 350° oven for 20 minutes.  Cool on a rack.

Makes 24 muffins

NOTE:  This recipe can be easily halved

Recipe is slightly tweaked from one I found at thefoodieandthefamily.com.

boshs1andonly
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:59 AM

thanks so much! i'll be sure to try it and come back to post. if i can't find coconut flour, would that be a huge deal?

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting boshs1andonly:

Quoting michiganmom116:

This isn't an overly sweet muffin like you'd expect.  It's got a pleasant flavor though.

• 1/2 c. butter, melted
  • 1//2 c. honey
  • 12 eggs
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 c. coconut flour
  • 1/2 c. cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. cinnamon

Mix butter and honey together.  Add eggs and vanilla and whisk well.  Stir in coconut flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and cinnamon until well mixed.  Stir in zucchini and chocolate chips.  Spoon into 24 paper-lined muffin cups in pans.  Bake in preheated 350° oven for 20 minutes.  Cool on a rack.

Makes 24 muffins

michiganmom116
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:08 AM

Coconut flour doesn't act like other flours.  It's much more absorbent and has 3x the fiber of whole wheat flour, so if you can't find it then I wouldn't attempt the recipe.

I have no trouble finding coconut flour, though.  It's usually in the alternative flours section of the grocery store, and Bob's Red Mill is the typical brand that I see.  If you can't find it in a grocery store or health food store, check it out on Amazon.com.

Quoting boshs1andonly:

thanks so much! i'll be sure to try it and come back to post. if i can't find coconut flour, would that be a huge deal?

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting boshs1andonly:

Quoting michiganmom116:

• 1/2 c. butter, melted
  • 1//2 c. honey
  • 12 eggs
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 c. coconut flour
  • 1/2 c. cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. cinnamon

Makes 24 muffins

KarenandErnie
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this

These sound AMAZING. I'm going to give them a try!

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting boshs1andonly:

Quoting michiganmom116:

• 1/2 c. butter, melted
  • 1//2 c. honey
  • 12 eggs
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 c. coconut flour
  • 1/2 c. cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. cinnamon

Makes 24 muffins

arpazia
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Oh these sound awesome!
dusky_rose
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I try to make my banana muffins healthy. I use canola oil instead of butter, replace half the white flour with oatmeal and whole wheat flour, put some stevia and honey in for part of the white sugar and make sure that I add chopped walnuts. I know that this isn't as healthy as it could get, but I am dealing with super picky eaters and I am tweeking the recipe just enough so that it doesn't affect taste to them.

boshs1andonly
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:06 PM

oh ok, thanks for letting me know. i haven't actually tried looking for it yet so i might be able to find it. luckily i have like 6 grocery stores within 10 minutes of me, hopefully one of them has it

Quoting michiganmom116:

Coconut flour doesn't act like other flours.  It's much more absorbent and has 3x the fiber of whole wheat flour, so if you can't find it then I wouldn't attempt the recipe.

I have no trouble finding coconut flour, though.  It's usually in the alternative flours section of the grocery store, and Bob's Red Mill is the typical brand that I see.  If you can't find it in a grocery store or health food store, check it out on Amazon.com.

Quoting boshs1andonly:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting boshs1andonly:

Quoting michiganmom116:

• 1/2 c. butter, melted
  • 1//2 c. honey
  • 12 eggs
  • 2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 c. coconut flour
  • 1/2 c. cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. cinnamon

Makes 24 muffins

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)