Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Summer Cooking Challenge Day 2: Create Your Own Rub!

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:56 AM
  • 89 Replies

What do you use on your grilled meats to increase flavor? Try something new today and make your own rub! If you want to infuse more flavor on your meats, top season them with a rub, wrap them in foil, and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 4 hours before grilling.

Try these rubs or share your own!

barbecuing

How often do you use rubs? Do you have a favorite?

Click here to sign up for the challenge and get daily reminders!

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I don't often use rubs when I grill....only when I'm roasting meat.

My favorite for chicken:  1 Tbsp. salt, 2 tsp. paprika, 1 tsp. onion powder, 1 tsp. thyme, 1 tsp. cayenne pepper, 1/2 to 3/4 tsp. black pepper, 1/2 tsp. garlic powder

Teeshann
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:13 AM
4 moms liked this

sorry this will be long but it was funny. well at least to me. my favorite thing in the world was my dad's ribs. he made them for my birthday every year.

first year husband and i got married he decided to make me ribs. keep tradition going. he went to the grocery store and started buying all these seasonings. i didn't know what he was doing at the time. gets home and starts mixing them all together. my big mixing bowl was full of seasonings. there was a TON of it. looked a lot like season all. so i went and got the season all bottle and sure enough. all the seasonings he was using were in season all. i think there were 1 or 2 extra things. so we joked that it was the most expensive season all.

but oh the ribs he made were to die for and i had to admit they were better than my dads. we had had bottles filled with it and barely ran out after 12 years.

sweetheart4171
by Peggy on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I don't use rubs to often or rarely ever.  The Dry Rub sounds like something I would try for the grill next time

Lorissa11
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:25 AM
It may be strange to some but I rub my pot roast and grill it to brown if off. I do it different every time depending on the mood I am in. My favorite thing is simple. A little taco seasoning and black pepper. Simple and deliscious! I let it marinate that way.in the refridgerator usually for 1-3 hours. I use this rub about once a month. I never measure it out. :( I dont usually rub my steaks when I grill. I think salt and pepper really do the trick with a good steak. I love rubbed ribs, but my grandpa is the master at that.
AspensMama1537
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:25 AM
We use rubs, we haven't made our own though.
motamaid
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this
Those look awesome. I make my own seasonings and rubs and at xmastime I give em out as gifts! Baby food jars and tubs work awesome for this!
Good to just take ginger, onion powder and flakes, garlic, and salt and pepper to rub on fish or veggies too!
And putting smoked paprika with Anything gives it s smokey/bacony flavor!
mommyfuntimes
by New Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I don't hardly ever use rubs for my meat. I really don't have a favorite either.

mewebb82
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this
We use rubs regularly. I don't really have a personal favorite as I'm vegetarian and just flavor my veggies with fresh herbs from the garden usually, but my husband's favorite are the Stubbs rubs. We do make our own marinades, but the rubs tend to come from a bottle.
Pam_8787
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:32 AM
We rarely use ribs. But when we do its normally not our own recipe.
othermom
by Danelle on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:33 AM

We use rubs for roasts, ribs and a few other meats

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)