The Family Piggy Bank

Planning for your family's future

Group Home

Summer Cooking Challenge Day 9: Marinate!

Posted by   + Show Post

A marinade takes some planning, but it will make meat taste so much better by adding moisture and flavor!

There are a wide variety of marinade recipes, but this all-purpose marinade from allrecipes.com is just garlic, soy sauce, olive oil and water can be used on all sorts of meats. Best of all, you probably have most of the ingredients at home. This whiskey barbeque marinade is sure to be a hit and only uses BBQ sauce, whiskey, worcestershire sauce, honey, black pepper, and salt.

Marinating meat is simple when you follow these easy instructions to make grill containers. These containers are not limited to just meat, you can use them for glazes, peppers, onions, or seafood.

barbecuing

How often do you marinate? Do you notice a difference in flavor when you eat marinated food? What are some of your favorite recipes?

Click here to sign up for the challenge and get daily reminders!

by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Replies (21-30):
mewebb82
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:11 PM
We use marinades a lot. We are constantly trying new marinades, so we don't really have a favorite. We have used one pretty regularly for chicken though.
Olive oil, lemon juice, fresh rosemary, fresh thyme, salt and pepper
It's so simple, but it adds a lot of flavor and keeps the chicken moist. I also often put that on our veggies too just before I grill them or I use fresh basil sometimes too.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:22 PM

mmmm....whiskey!

We've used wine, and there's definitely a difference in flavors depending on the ingredients.  We don't really have a recipe, just dump the ingredients in as they sound good.

Manda_martin99
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:39 PM
Marinate everything - I love that extra flavor.
Isalli
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:56 PM
I like to marinate the meat cause it taste better
la_bella_vita
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Yes, we love to marinate.

AspensMama1537
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:14 PM
Surprisingly we don't marinate very often. We just don't think about it in advance.
sweetheart4171
by Peggy on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I marinate occasionally especially love marinating chicken and steak.  My favorite marinade is something similar to this one

• 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
batjmom
by Sarah on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:10 PM
I marinade a lot. A little olive oil and my favorite spices, soy sauce sometimes. I like to create new marinades
B.Conley75
by New Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:33 PM

1 1/2 c. steak sauce

1 tbsp. soy sauce

1/3 c. italian dressing

1/3 c. honey

1/2 tsp. garlic powder

mmmmm!!!

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:43 PM

I like to marinate my meat.  The flavor is so much better! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)