Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Summer Cooking Challenge Day 9: Marinate!

Posted by   + Show Post

A marinade takes some planning, but it will make meat taste so much better by adding moisture and flavor!

There are a wide variety of marinade recipes, but this all-purpose marinade from allrecipes.com is just garlic, soy sauce, olive oil and water can be used on all sorts of meats. Best of all, you probably have most of the ingredients at home. This whiskey barbeque marinade is sure to be a hit and only uses BBQ sauce, whiskey, worcestershire sauce, honey, black pepper, and salt.

Marinating meat is simple when you follow these easy instructions to make grill containers. These containers are not limited to just meat, you can use them for glazes, peppers, onions, or seafood.

barbecuing

How often do you marinate? Do you notice a difference in flavor when you eat marinated food? What are some of your favorite recipes?

Click here to sign up for the challenge and get daily reminders!

by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Replies (31-40):
MessedUpMama
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 6:15 PM

My family seems to have summers where we marinate nearly everything and summers where we marinate nearly nothing. Some of our favorites have been things we threw together at the time, or a couple of store bought marinades. I do notice the difference when we marinate some things, they are especially useful for less expensive cuts of meat, because they add flavor, help tenderize the meat, and help keep the meat juicy.

Lauren486
by Lauren on Jul. 25, 2013 at 6:18 PM

I've never thought to make "grilling containers" for meat.  This is how I always cook potatoes, onions, and other vegetables though.  I am horrible at remembering to marinate my meat far enough in advance but I love playing with different flavours and trying new recipes.  I  Never follow one recipe to a T, just throw in what I have on hand that sounds good. 

DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Most times the marinate needs to marinate over night or a few days ahead before it's of any use as a marinate for anything else. Most vegetables marinate better than meat so that would be my first choice. Fatty cuts of meat hold a marinate and some leaner cuts tend to dry out because of it.

My favorite go-to ingredients are garlic oil and onion oil. Fresh herbs like rosemary, basil, dill, etc. Chopped celery leaves or carrot leaves are good too. Seasoned vinegars gets everything going.

MrsNewman
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 6:53 PM

I don't ever marinate.

AAubrey829
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:36 PM

We always marinate our meat. Marinated food has way more flavor then nonmarinated food.

Squirrel1309
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:56 PM

I love marinated meat! I marinate chicken in a ginger sesame marinde which is awesome, it gives a slightly sweet, slightly tangy flavor. I love the marinade recipe here.

narumi74
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:20 PM

I Marinate all the time with chicken and fish. My favorite is itialian chicken or teriyaki chicken!

AlannaMaria
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:44 PM
I always marinate my meat! I love teriyaki sauce it makes everything taste soooo good!
jsbuck
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:00 PM

I used to marinate, but really didn't notice a difference so I don't bother any more.  I just cook the meat with the sauce.

cjsmom1
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:44 PM

I don't marinade too often

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN