Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Lunch help....

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:37 PM
  • 14 Replies
I make my dh lunch nearly everyday. I have since we met almost 7 years ago. I say nearly because sometimes he has lunch out with his co-workers or I over sleep, he also doesn't expect me to do this at all. He enjoys it most, if not all the time. Lunch eat out options for his 30 min lunch are limited in my area.
I am in a lunch rut. Same ole sandwich everyday. I get our sandwich rolls at Walmart (they are amazing), and also deli meats and cheese (I have noticed an almost 2.00 savings per pound for equal or better quality). Depending on the meat, the ingredients change. Basic base of mayo and either yellow or spicy brown mustard and cheese. Roast beef gets horseradish instead of mayo, I also put romaine letttuce, tomato and marinated bell peppers. If I make him turkey (generally Cajun or Cracked black pepper) I will put some cucumber, avacado (not alot, he has a mild allergy), tomato and romaine.
I need ideas that will survive a cooler with ice packs in my dh's service truck (he works for a public water agency). Also, if it doesn't break the bank, that would be awesome. Thanks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsmom1
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:45 PM
1 mom liked this

What about doing wraps instead. Turkay apple wraps are amazing

kmphillips73
by New Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:45 AM
1 mom liked this

If he likes pepperoni, bake him up some pepperoni rolls! These are a real West Virginia treat and easy to make too if you use premade bread dough! Just a little history lesson... these pepperoni rolls originated in the coal fields of West Virginia because the men needed a quick, hearty meal that was easy to carry to work and wouldn't spoil. They don't even need to be refrigerated! Tear off a piece of dough about the size of a tennis ball, lay it down on a floured surface and flatten it with the palm of your hand. Add about 10 slices of pepperoni in the middle, roll the dough around the pepperoni slices then pinch the ends shut. Bake on a greased cookie sheet at 350 degrees for about 14 minutes.

AlleyCat08
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Those sounds pretty good. He may like those. Can I use regular bread dough from the frozen aisle? The stores in my area sell several different kinds, and I am thinking I can probably use the ones for making dinner rolls. I might have to try these this weekend or next. 

If they can survive coal fields, then Southern CA heat and humidity should be nothing.. lol. 

Quoting kmphillips73:

If he likes pepperoni, bake him up some pepperoni rolls! These are a real West Virginia treat and easy to make too if you use premade bread dough! Just a little history lesson... these pepperoni rolls originated in the coal fields of West Virginia because the men needed a quick, hearty meal that was easy to carry to work and wouldn't spoil. They don't even need to be refrigerated! Tear off a piece of dough about the size of a tennis ball, lay it down on a floured surface and flatten it with the palm of your hand. Add about 10 slices of pepperoni in the middle, roll the dough around the pepperoni slices then pinch the ends shut. Bake on a greased cookie sheet at 350 degrees for about 14 minutes.

AlleyCat08
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:48 AM

He isn't a big fan of wraps, but I am. I may have to do these for me... Thank you

Quoting cjsmom1:

What about doing wraps instead. Turkay apple wraps are amazing

kmphillips73
by New Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Yep, you can use the frozen bread dough. Just let it thaw then flatten it out and put the pepperoni on it. I always let them rise on the pan for about an hour or so before putting them in the oven but you don't have to.

AlleyCat08
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Do you add cheese or anything else? I was thinking about wrapping them in foil and he can put it in the dash of his truck. Is this a recipe that can be tweaked? Yes, I had time at work to ponder these.
Thank you so much.

Quoting kmphillips73:

Yep, you can use the frozen bread dough. Just let it thaw then flatten it out and put the pepperoni on it. I always let them rise on the pan for about an hour or so before putting them in the oven but you don't have to.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmphillips73
by New Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 2:23 AM

You can add cheese. My favorite in these is pepper jack. They're also good if you slice them open, add some mozarella cheese and banana peppers then pop them in the microwave for about 30 seconds. But yes, definitely add whatever cheese you like before baking.

Quoting AlleyCat08:

Do you add cheese or anything else? I was thinking about wrapping them in foil and he can put it in the dash of his truck. Is this a recipe that can be tweaked? Yes, I had time at work to ponder these.
Thank you so much.

Quoting kmphillips73:

calsmom62
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 6:41 AM
what about a pasta salad. or a hummus and falafel in a pita pocket. in the cooler months you can make pasties. meat pies with beef pork or chicken. potatoes onions carrots celery and a bit of gravy in a pie crust. but you fold them over and seal them so tgey can be held in your hand.
AlleyCat08
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Mmm, never thought of something like the "hot pocket". I do live in a rut... Lol. We both like to take pasta salads for lunch when we make some. He makes big batches of macaroni salad that I love. I make a Tex-Mex one with chicken, tri color pasta, corn, tomatoes, green chilis and bell pepper. Little olive oil, salt, pepper, red wine vinager and a spice I can't remember... It is yummy.
I might have to try hummus and falafel in a pita pocket, that sounds yummy. I am not a big sandwich fan. My lunches can be interesting at best most days. Leftovers, salad, soup or something. Once or twice a week, I might make me a sandwich.

Quoting calsmom62:

what about a pasta salad. or a hummus and falafel in a pita pocket. in the cooler months you can make pasties. meat pies with beef pork or chicken. potatoes onions carrots celery and a bit of gravy in a pie crust. but you fold them over and seal them so tgey can be held in your hand.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kaybear123
by Kayla on Jul. 27, 2013 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this

How about a chicken salad sandwich? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)