Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Summer Cooking Challenge Day 10: Tips for Grilling Meat!

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:38 PM
  • 66 Replies

A great thing about summer cooking is that can you enjoy fresh air while you cook outside on the grill. Sometimes cooking meat on the grill can be intimidating, but it doesn't have to be.

Here are some tips for grilling meat:

1. Preheat your grill about 20 minutes before you start cooking to make sure it reaches the right temperature.
  2. Don't put cold meat on the grill. Be sure to let your meat get to room temperature before it goes on the grill.
  3. Flip your burgers and other meats only once during cooking. Usually about 7-9 minutes on each side.
  4. Don't squish your meat! You will drain it of its juices and flavors.
  5. Once your meat is finished on the grill, let it rest on a clean platter for about 10 minutes, tented with foil, so juices can redistribute evenly.
  6. If you are grilling fish, choose fillets that are even in thickness so they cook evenly. Fish can cook really quickly, so keep a close eye on them.
  7. When grilling chicken, use indirect heat for bone-in breasts, legs, or thighs and direct heat for boneless breasts, legs, or thighs.

barbecuing

Are you guilty of over flipping or squishing meat on the grill? Are there any tips for grilling meat that you would add?

Click here to sign up for the challenge and get daily reminders!

by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sarah824
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:05 PM

DH doesn't squish the meat, but he may over flip it according to the tips above. He usually cooks it for 5 minutes and turns it, then another 5 and turns it. This continues until it is fully cooked. The meat is always cooked evenly and done all the way through so it seems to work.

campingmomof4
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I use indirect heat to cook roast and other larger pieces of meat on the grill all the time. 

Yes I like to squish my hamburgers.  I probably over flip my food when it is on the grill.  I am trying to get better with that. 

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I'm not guilty of any if these because I don't have a grill. lol

aandt1999
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:09 PM
I am sooo guilty of squishing my burgers! Lol....I gotta work on that.
mamamiajk
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:13 PM

over flipping on certain meats to make sure they aren't burning and cook evenly

gigis1
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:17 PM
We definitely don't over flip or squish lol. We are calm and patient about our grilling.
sweetheart4171
by Peggy on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:19 PM

I was guilty of over flipping and squishing years ago but I don't do it anymore, learned it on the food channel or something similiar.  I do cook my chicken low and slow, only because the outside always looks done before the inside is if the heat is higher

Isalli
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:25 PM
Ya I am kind of guilty of over flipping the meat but I am trotting to learn to cook better
othermom
by Danelle on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Yes I am guilty of it. Thanks for the tips

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:37 PM

I try really hard not to squish the meat! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement