Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Summer Cooking Challenge Day 10: Tips for Grilling Meat!

Posted by   + Show Post

A great thing about summer cooking is that can you enjoy fresh air while you cook outside on the grill. Sometimes cooking meat on the grill can be intimidating, but it doesn't have to be.

Here are some tips for grilling meat:

1. Preheat your grill about 20 minutes before you start cooking to make sure it reaches the right temperature.
  2. Don't put cold meat on the grill. Be sure to let your meat get to room temperature before it goes on the grill.
  3. Flip your burgers and other meats only once during cooking. Usually about 7-9 minutes on each side.
  4. Don't squish your meat! You will drain it of its juices and flavors.
  5. Once your meat is finished on the grill, let it rest on a clean platter for about 10 minutes, tented with foil, so juices can redistribute evenly.
  6. If you are grilling fish, choose fillets that are even in thickness so they cook evenly. Fish can cook really quickly, so keep a close eye on them.
  7. When grilling chicken, use indirect heat for bone-in breasts, legs, or thighs and direct heat for boneless breasts, legs, or thighs.

barbecuing

Are you guilty of over flipping or squishing meat on the grill? Are there any tips for grilling meat that you would add?

Click here to sign up for the challenge and get daily reminders!

by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:38 PM
Replies (21-30):
Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 4:50 PM

I definitely am guilty of overflipping.  That is why my husband does the grilling!

rebeccan3
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I only flip once and nope, I never squish meat.  When I do burgers, sometimes I do cook them in foil packets. 

la_bella_vita
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 4:54 PM

DH does neither.

bahamamama61
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 4:57 PM
Not Guilty:) And, I'm about to grill some burgers and hot dogs out, right now:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bayliesmommy
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:11 PM
I leave that up to someone else! I would definitely over flip and squish. I don't like fat burgers. I also want to make sure it all gets done!
DissieDothe
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:29 PM

You forgot the tonger! Cook who jabs the meat to see if it's done inside. LOL. I don't tend my grill till it's ready for some attention ... I set a timer for 7 min and if the meat is not bleeding on top ... it's not hot inside. For thicker cuts, I set the timer for 12 min. If it's no where near ready, re-set the timer. Flipping and squishing just causes a lot of unnecessary smoke.

Keep a water filled spray bottle beside the grill. If meat or something catches on fire while it's cooking, spray it lightly. The moisture will usually keep it under control.

narumi74
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 6:00 PM

I am pretty good about making meats on the grill..just keep them tight and moist!

jsbuck
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 7:11 PM

When I used to grill I was definitely guilty of overflipping and squishing.

MessedUpMama
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 7:14 PM

I'm guilty of over flipping. It's because I hate waiting for something I really like, and I LOVE grilled foods. LOL

ARClay
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:16 PM
No, I've always known not to flip meat multiple times and not to squish the meat. I try to tell DH that too but he doesn't listen. Lol. Another tip is don't check it so often. Every time you open the lid you let most of the heat out.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN