Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Summer Cooking Challenge Day 10: Tips for Grilling Meat!

Posted by   + Show Post

A great thing about summer cooking is that can you enjoy fresh air while you cook outside on the grill. Sometimes cooking meat on the grill can be intimidating, but it doesn't have to be.

Here are some tips for grilling meat:

1. Preheat your grill about 20 minutes before you start cooking to make sure it reaches the right temperature.
  2. Don't put cold meat on the grill. Be sure to let your meat get to room temperature before it goes on the grill.
  3. Flip your burgers and other meats only once during cooking. Usually about 7-9 minutes on each side.
  4. Don't squish your meat! You will drain it of its juices and flavors.
  5. Once your meat is finished on the grill, let it rest on a clean platter for about 10 minutes, tented with foil, so juices can redistribute evenly.
  6. If you are grilling fish, choose fillets that are even in thickness so they cook evenly. Fish can cook really quickly, so keep a close eye on them.
  7. When grilling chicken, use indirect heat for bone-in breasts, legs, or thighs and direct heat for boneless breasts, legs, or thighs.

barbecuing

Are you guilty of over flipping or squishing meat on the grill? Are there any tips for grilling meat that you would add?

Click here to sign up for the challenge and get daily reminders!

by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:38 PM
Replies (41-50):
Sunshine2plus2
by Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 11:36 PM

No but I dont grill my Dh does. He would never squish food!

mewebb82
by Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:14 AM
Occasionally, I have to flip the meat more than once because I flipped it too soon. I have found that steaks can be easier to cook to perfection by searing them first.
MrsNewman
by Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:17 PM

I think I do a pretty good job at it, my husband is a squisher. We always have flat meat.. lol

AzariahsMother
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I am not an over flipper at all.

The one tip would be to season I love season.  I also like to have my stuff a little burtn and can always taste the coals. 

HaleysMom10
by Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 6:37 PM
I don't squish the meat and I try not to over flip them.
Flaca43
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 1:41 AM

Good tips! I didn't know about the cold meat one, thanks!

joeannaanthony
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 3:11 AM

Wonderful! Thank you so much for the great tips! I always had a problem while grilling, now I guess my problem is sorted.

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Not at all.  I took over the grilling reigns because DH was a flipper.  I tried to tell him, STOP....I watch Food Network, I know what I am talking about!  LOL.  He agreed that my way was better and now when he does grill, he isn't a flipper anymore.  =-)

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Same here!!  =-)

Quoting gigis1:

We definitely don't over flip or squish lol. We are calm and patient about our grilling.

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 9:09 AM
1 mom liked this

You are free to go!  LOL!  Not guilty as well. 

Quoting batjmom:

Not guilty

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN