Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Eating Well Through the Summer Slump

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 33 Replies
1 mom liked this

As the weather changes, I get super excited to make whatever dishes go with each season. In summer, I can't get enough light, bright, cool and crisp dishes, and in fall, I haul out the Dutch oven and slow cooker and make soups, stews, and long-simmering dishes. I go back to old favorites, try new ingredients and enjoy new combinations and familiar comfort foods alike.

Unfortunately, this lasts about six or eight weeks. Then I am absolutely sick of everything I like to make, even though it's seasonally appropriate. And thus, the summer slump (or winter slump, depending) sets in. It's better in summer, when new fruits and vegetables are coming into season all the time and there's always delicious new surprises at the farmer's market, but I do tend to run out of ideas well before the reboot that comes with the change of season. 

What helps is finding new recipes to try or new ways of using familiar ingredients. Right here on this very page, we have Karen's Recipe Box, which has delicious, fresh, family-friendly takes on the best of the season. Then there are food shows, magazines, etc. I like Cooking Light and Eating Well,  both of which present natural, low-calorie, health-conscious recipes from the perspective of a true food lover. There's little to no processed junk and lots of great ideas.

Cable has not one but two channels devoted to food, and if you don't have cable (I don't), there's PBS cooking shows, which air on weekends and feature some amazing chefs. If you're in a big city and using an over-the-air digital channel, you might even get the Create channel, which has tons of food programming. And some food network shows are available on Amazon streaming as well and are free with their Prime membership.

Friends, family, and Facebook are also great sources of inspiration. I'm lucky enough to come from a family who likes to cook and eat together; I also have some friends who are great health-conscious cooks and also adventurous eaters when we go out to dinner. I am also not above putting out the call for help on Facebook and have come up with some wonderful suggestions that way.

And hey, when all else fails, there is nothing wrong with breakfast for dinner. Who doesn't love a (whole wheat, fruit-topped) pancake on their plate?

Where do you get your meal inspiration?

Image ŠIStockPhoto/fotokostic

by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 2, 2013 at 6:21 AM

Paleo/primal folks have plenty of resources!  Many of them contribute to the recipe site fastpaleo.com, and when I'm stuck I head there. 

Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 7:10 AM
Pinterest!
batjmom
by Sarah on Aug. 2, 2013 at 8:08 AM
I get a lot is great ideas here on cafemom!
Pinterest is another place I find good ideas. I love food network magazine as well
kksmomma1019
by Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 8:16 AM

I used to have magazine subscriptions and tore out recipe pages that looked/sounded good. I threw them in a box that I dig through for new ideas. The newest place for me that I've been getting a ton of recipes from is Pinterest, I LOVE it! Also, I've always just browsed on the Internet for ideas, allrecipes and things like that.

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Aug. 2, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Pinterest!

Lauren486
by Lauren on Aug. 3, 2013 at 7:27 AM

I am with you on the slump.  It is s nice to be able to cook with various seasonal fruits and vegetables, but after a few weeks, I'm done and ready for something new. These days most of my inspiration comes from this group!  Have tried and saved a lot of great recipes here. 

sweetheart4171
by Peggy on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Absolutely love Pinterest....it's my "go to" source too!

Quoting Peachy34500:

Pinterest!

johnny4ever
Great First Day
Yesterday at 7:56 AM
by Tracy on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Pinterest!

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 1:24 PM
The Internet
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Blogs, pinterest, and a couple cooking groups here.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement