Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Two Great Recipes for Eggplant

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 33 Replies

Eggplant is one of the prettiest fruits (yep, technically a fruit), with its glossy purple black skin. It can be overwhelming to find delicious uses for it that don't involve frying it, but I find one of the easiest ways to prepare eggplant that breaks it down enough to get rid of that spongy texture is to roast it in the oven. Here are two ways to use roasted eggplant.

Roasted Eggplant on Pizza

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Slice your eggplant in half lengthwise and rub a little olive oil over the cut surface. Cut the tips off of your head of garlic so the ends of the cloves are exposed and drizzle that with olive oil as well. Set the eggplant halves cut side down on a baking sheet next to the head of garlic. Roast for about 40 minutes, or until the eggplant has nearly completely collapsed and the garlic is golden and popping out of the papery shell. Allow to cool, then scoop the eggplant into a bowl. Squeeze the roasted garlic on top of this (I like a lot of garlic, you can add as much as you see fit) and mash them together with a little extra olive oil. Top a pizza crust with this and a little tomato sauce and mozzarella and bake. 

Baba Ghanoush Dip

Roast your eggplant as in the recipe above, scoop into a bowl and mash it with 3 minced cloves of fresh garlic, 1/4 cup of tahini, 1/4 cup of lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon each of cumin and salt. Once mashed together, drizzle the dip with a tablespoon of both olive oil and chopped parsley. Serve with pita triangles as an appetizer.

How do you prepare eggplant?

(c)istockphoto.com/travellinglight

by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
batjmom
by Sarah on Aug. 1, 2013 at 7:24 AM
I'm really not an eggplant fan
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 1, 2013 at 7:26 AM

I've never had eggplant, but my DS/DIL are growing it in their garden.  I'm sure I'll get my chance this year.

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:21 AM
I don't like eggplant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TerriC
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Those both sound great!  I make eggplant Parmesan.

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Really?  I thought for sure you would be.  I make a pretty good eggplant Parmesan!  =-)

Quoting batjmom:

I'm really not an eggplant fan

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I love eggplant on pizza!  Yum!

sukainah
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:06 AM

I don't really like it, but my DH fries it or puts it in soup.  Baba Ghanoush, though, is not too bad.

goddess99
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Interesting, I was just telling my dh I'd like to try eggplant, maybe eggplant parmesan. Thanks for the recipes.

goddess99
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Care to share your recipe? =)

Quoting TerriC:

TerriC
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Sure!  =-)

Eggplant Parmesan

1 large eggplant, peeled and sliced ¼ to ½ inch

2 eggs, beaten

2/3 cup Panko bread crumbs (add 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese) 

Salt

Olive oil for frying

Your favorite tomato sauce

Spaghetti noodles, cooked

Mozzarella cheese

Salt eggplant and let sit for 20 to 30 minutes on waxed paper.  Put beaten eggs in a shallow bowl and the bread crumbs in another shallow bowl.  Heat 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet.  Dip each slice of eggplant into egg and then into breadcrumbs.  Fry until each side starts to brown.  Remove eggplant from pan and let grease drain on plate covered with paper towels.  Serve eggplant over spaghetti noodles, top with spaghetti sauce and mozzarella cheese.

Quoting goddess99:

Care to share your recipe? =)

Quoting TerriC:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement