Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Using Mason Jars - Part 2

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 27 Replies
1 mom liked this

Mason jars are the new trend in portable meals.  Yes, you heard right. How can this be? Think of mason jars as the perfect container for a quick and easy lunch. Just pile in your ingredients wet on bottom and dry and crunchier ingredients towards to top. Shake it all up and you're ready to eat.

Take these meals on road trips, to the office for lunch, or for a quick snack straight out of the fridge.

Here are a few ideas for fresh and easy meals in a mason jar:

Kale and grapefruit salad

Cous cous, golden raisin and chicken salad

Taco salad with crispy tortilla strips and romaine lettuce

Chili topped with low fat cheese and sour cream

Pasta salad

Hummus topped with veggie strips

Peanut or nut butter topped with celery or pretzel sticks.

Moms, what kind of lunch would you pack in a mason jar?

by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 2, 2013 at 6:31 AM

Hm.  I 've never thought about packing lunch in a mason jar, but I think a fruit mix would be great!

Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 7:09 AM
Sounds fun!! I love mason jars!
batjmom
by Sarah on Aug. 2, 2013 at 8:14 AM
I have seen so many uses for them but its not something I use or even own
megandwade
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I've never had a mason jar lunch! Sounds like a great idea for salad shakers though...

SMInProgress
by New Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:25 AM
2 moms liked this

I use mason jars for everything.  The rustic look is simply pretty.  I get small ones & put dried herbs from my garden in them.  I also make home made ice tea like with sliced rounds of lemon or oranges & mint sprigs & keep it out in the sun.

But I never thought of salads in a mason jar.  That would be perfect to serve at BBQs.  Now you got me thinking how to use them at our beach parties.  What a great idea!!!

lmeisels
by New Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 10:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I've heard of this but have never packed a lunch in a mason jar.  I use them to keep my grains and flours bug-free and I agree that they look pretty.  I love to hear about different uses for things!

grandmotherof6
by Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 8:14 AM

I fix overnight oatmeal in mind sometimes

my4kids274
by Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 8:17 AM

I use the mason jars for my lupini beans that I make among other things.  They are versatile to say the least.

We actually used them as centerpieces at our class reunion this past November.  We had a Fall theme and it was pretty neat. 

I love the idea of using them for salads!

Lauren486
by Lauren on Aug. 3, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Never thought to use a mason jar as a snack or meal container but what a great idea!   I love the idea of making a salad in a jar. 

Lauren486
by Lauren on Aug. 3, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Why have I never thought to do this?  I clearly need to go out and buy some mason jars today!!! 

Quoting lmeisels:

I've heard of this but have never packed a lunch in a mason jar.  I use them to keep my grains and flours bug-free and I agree that they look pretty.  I love to hear about different uses for things!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement