Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Spin to Win at the Farmer's Market

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 34 Replies

If you have a community-supported agriculture (CSA) subscription, or love the farmer's market, your culinary skills might be getting a little challenged.  Produce is never more abundant, fresh or beautiful than it is right about now, but there's just so much of it!

One of the big advantages of having a CSA subscription is knowing you are supporting a family farm and letting the farmer choose what is right at peak ripeness for your box, and it lets them plant vegetables they probably wouldn't otherwise because they couldn't sell enough. And part of the fun is never quite knowing what to expect when you pick up your box  and finding surprises in there...golden beets! white eggplant! garlic scapes!...but it also poses a challenge when you may have never seen these things before and don't entirely know how best to use them.

And at this time of year when everything is coming in, there may be a lot of even familiar favorites you have to use before they go bad, whether you grew them yourself, bought them at the farmer's market or found them in your CSA box.

In any case, it's time to sharpen your culinary curiosity and find new things to do with old favorites and delicious things to do with new flavors. The New York Times had a cool article this week about how to do exactly that; there's a regular recipe story, and then this super fun Farmer's Market Recipe Generator. You can choose one of any number of current farmer's market/CSA finds (cauliflower, eggplant. stone fruit, etc.) a cooking method (grill, stove top or oven) and a type of fresh herb and give it a "spin," and ta-da! Up comes a recipe. If, say, you're heading to the market and want to cook with whatever looks good, you can choose "randomize" and it will choose a combo for you...then just head to the market and shop!

It's a good antidote to being overwhelmed by summer's bounty...after all, in the dead of winter when you're missing the taste of a nice ripe tomato or the juiciness of a summer peach, you'll be glad you seized the moment while you could!

Are you feeling overwhelmed by all the summer produce or are you loving every minute?

Image ©IStockPhoto/canbalci

by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
batjmom
by Sarah on Aug. 7, 2013 at 8:43 AM
I'm loving it .... Now.
By September I've had it with my garden and the tomatoes have taken over.

This year I'm going to try to make and freeze more tomato sauces for the winter.
ChancesMommy07
by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 10:10 AM

We've had too much rain this year so our garden didn't do as well as it has in previous years :-( . 

Lauren486
by Lauren on Aug. 7, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I just saw an ad yesterday to have a box of produce delivered weekly.  I  love the idea, I just need to decide if it is enough value for money.  I do like the idea of getting and using produce I otherwise would pass.  

Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 4:11 PM
We've got a ton of stuff! Its great!
harmony7
by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Our area is also too wet...gardens and local produce are suffering and price is sky high. So sad!

Pam in Alabama
A Mom to nine sons and one daughter with five still at home
terri76
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Love it!!

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 8, 2013 at 7:57 AM

I love summer produce, although after picking/snapping/blanching/freezing 2 bushels of green beans yesterday I don't care if I don't see another green bean for a while.

johnny4ever
by Tracy on Aug. 8, 2013 at 8:32 AM

We have a local farmers market every 1st weekend of month

johnny4ever
by Tracy on Aug. 8, 2013 at 8:32 AM

I am very picky buying produce

megandwade
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 8:51 AM

What a nifty recipe generator...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement