Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Falling in Love With Green Beans

Posted by on Aug. 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 27 Replies

I think most of us who try to eat healthily have had this experience: You are 100 percent convinced you hate a vegetable. You've tried it, it's icky, no thank you.

And then that magical day comes when you try it in a way you never have before...when suddenly that icky veg becomes something you can't stop eating. You want more...you start looking for other ways to try it...and before too long, you find yourself loading up at the grocery store or farmer's market when you see a deal, thrilled with all the delicious things you can make.

As a recovering picky eater, I have had this experience with lots of things, but none so surprising as green beans. Like most of us, I first had them as a kid, plopped from the can to the saucepan and then onto my plate. They are, quite frankly, horrifyingly gross from a  can. I can still remember the drab green spears, which managed to somehow be both mushy and fibrous.

Interestingly, I discovered I liked them raw, picked fresh from my grandmother's garden, and would eat them like that, sometimes right off the plant. But even after trying, and not minding, them lightly steamed and still tender-crisp, I still didn't love them and they never made an appearance at my table unless someone else brought them.

Then, one day well into adult life, my mom made me green beans steamed and then tossed with some kind of garlicky vinaigrette. They were amazing and I ate more than my share. I didn't know green beans could be this good. The vinaigrette also softened the sometimes woody texture and rendered them delicious. Since then, I have messed around with green beans trying to recreate that, and while I haven't quite managed it I have discovered they are great tossed with dark sesame oil and some fresh ginger, or olive oil and garlic, or just a squeeze of fresh lemon. Try them tossed with whatever sauces or condiments you have on hand and see what you think. 

Next, I tried green beans roasted. Some people say these taste like french fries. I disagree, but they are delicious....they get this dark caramelized flavor that makes them phenomenal with little more than a sprinkling of salt.

And finally, my favorite way ever, ever, ever to eat them: Quick-pickled diilly beans. (Okay, my favorite way is deep-fried from the bar near my brother-in-law's house, but this is about healthy food and that's not it!). Oddly enough, I never liked pickles much, but these quick pickled beans are snappy, spicy, fresh, and addictive. It's not uncommon for me to snarf down most of a batch while "testing" them to make sure they're pickled enough. They don't keep long, but it doesn't matter since they won't last two whole days, and at six calories a serving you can afford to go nuts.

What are your favorite ways to eat green beans?

Image ©IStockPhoto/alexh

by on Aug. 9, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 9, 2013 at 6:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Our absolute favorite:  cook 1/4 lb. bacon until chewy-done...remove from pan and add 3 to 4 cups of frozen or fresh green beans.  Cook in bacon fat until tender, adding 8 oz. sliced fresh mushrooms about 5 minutes before the end of cook time.  Dice the cooked bacon and add to the beans/mushrooms; stir to mix.  Serve.

There are NEVER any leftovers.

Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Aug. 9, 2013 at 7:01 AM
I normally just steam them, put a little butter and seasoning on them... sometimes ill saute them with garlic
sweetheart4171
by Peggy on Aug. 9, 2013 at 7:13 AM

I love eating fresh green beans sauted with garlic and olive oil!!

batjmom
by Sarah on Aug. 9, 2013 at 7:17 AM
I'm not a fan of green beans.
However I had a ton for the garden. I quickly blanch them then sautéed then in garlic olive oil and add turkey bacon.
My kids and dh love them that way
bookworm326
by Member on Aug. 9, 2013 at 9:32 AM

My DH and I love green beans. Our favorites are plantation green beans, fry some bacon cut into 1/2 inch strips (about 4 slices) when bacon is crispy add a diced shallot and cook until translucent add green beans into the pan. Plenty of fresh ground black pepper and some white vinegar. Saute until beans are well coated. 
Our other favorite is with almonds heat some oil in a pan add a small diced onion, carmelize the onion, add green beans sautee for about 1 minute, Add in a handful of roasted salted almonds. Cook until almonds are warm approximately 2 minutes more.  

megandwade
by Silver Member on Aug. 9, 2013 at 12:39 PM

This sounds yummy! I must try...

Quoting michiganmom116:

Our absolute favorite:  cook 1/4 lb. bacon until chewy-done...remove from pan and add 3 to 4 cups of frozen or fresh green beans.  Cook in bacon fat until tender, adding 8 oz. sliced fresh mushrooms about 5 minutes before the end of cook time.  Dice the cooked bacon and add to the beans/mushrooms; stir to mix.  Serve.

There are NEVER any leftovers.

megandwade
by Silver Member on Aug. 9, 2013 at 12:40 PM

I must agree deep fried green beans are rather delicious but if this is about healthy then steamed is the way to go!

reigns
by on Aug. 10, 2013 at 12:43 AM
My favorite ways to eat green beans are whole with cauliflower, sliced carrots, boiled in very little water with butter, salt, onion and garlic powders, until slightly tender. UMMMMMMM! Delicious!
justahousewife
by Member on Aug. 10, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Fresh from the garden and sauteed in butter, onion, garlic and a little balsamic or red wine.

Lauren486
by Lauren on Aug. 11, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Great ideas!  We rarely have green beans because DH is a green bean hater.  He eats them when I do something special with them so I will have to try some of these recipes. 

Brussel sprouts are "that" vegetable for me.  I always thought I hated them until I made them roasted with onions and bacon. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN